Part 1

The ship had dropped anchor near the Azores and the crew were busy making repairs and preparing for battle. The ship's doctor, James Madison, was near the bow, sketching the silhouette of the islands in front of them when he saw something moving under the water. Interested as he was in the sea life that surrounded them, he leaned over the side to get a better look at the creature. It was big, roughly the same size as he was. It moved in smooth lines and figure-eights and didn't seem all that concerned with the large ship and noisy inhabitants nearby. It dove deeper in the water, the large tail fin popping out of the water momentarily and James noted it had to be over 5 feet long, perhaps 6. The thing flipped in the water and seemed to be swimming back to the surface. James watched, enraptured by the easy, almost playful movements when it finally broke though the water. Madison gasped. From shock, horror, astonishment, perhaps all three. He eventually recovered and went to find the admiral.

Admiral George Washington heard footsteps, thundering and fast behind him and he turned in time to see the Madison running over to him. "Admiral! Washington! You wouldn't believe what I just saw!" The man was out of breath and sweat was running down his forehead and Washington sneered and handed the doctor his handkerchief. "Ye gods, Madison. Pull yourself together. What could possibly be so alarming to have you in such a state?"

"It was a mermaid sir! A half-fish, half-human! It was right there by the bow."

George gave him a pitying look. "Dear James. You must be hallucinating from the heat. Perhaps you could use a little bit of a lie down."

Madison shook his head. "I don't need a nap, sir. I know what I saw. It was a mermaid. Or merman and it SAW me too."

Washington just nodded, clearly not believing a word. "Well if you won't sleep, then perhaps a little manual labor like the rest of the crew would do you good. Something to occupy your mind instead of wild fantasies."

"It's not a fanta-" But Washington had already walked away, likely convinced the ship's surgeon had gone mad. "I know what I saw." James muttered to himself and headed back to the bow.

*********

"And 1, 2, 3, en garde!" Lieutenent Alexander Hamilton called out, parrying with Captain John Laurens. He was easily bested and John victoriously called out, "That's two out of three! I win."

"Best three out of five." Alexander smiled, picking up his sword and getting back into dueling stance.

"Just admit when you're beaten." John laughed.

"I'm just getting warmed up." He answered "1, 2, 3 en garde!" He lunged and managed to knock the sword out of Laurens's hand, sending it to the edge of the deck. "Ha! Two to two!"

John rolled his eyes and bent down to pick up the fallen sabre when he saw something glistening just under the surface of the water. Its movements were mesmerizing, seemingly trying to get John to notice it. He leaned down closer and he swore right under the glass-like surface there was a creature with dark curls much like his own and a face that looked like-. "My god." He whispered. He sat up quickly, hitting his head on the lower railing. He rubbed the back of his head and walked quickly to the posh quarters of the admiral.

He knocked but didn't wait for an answer, barging in on Washington already in a heated discussion with Commodore Thomas Jefferson.

"But sir." Thomas was gesticulating wildly. "With all due respect, I know what I saw."

"What you saw was most likely the bottom of too many bottles of wine. What you're describing is pure fantasy. The rambling tall tale of an old pirate or a wide-eyed child. There is no such thing as mermaids, Jefferson, and you would be wise to not mention this to anyone else on board." He looked over and saw John standing in the door frame. "Captain Laurens, perhaps you can talk some sense into the Commodore."

Jefferson sighed. "This wasn't a hallucination and I haven't had a drink since breakfast. It wasn't just some large fish or an aberration of the sea turning itself into a siren in front of a weary sailor's eyes. This was real and the weirdest part-" He stopped to take a breath and swallow hard. "Sir, you may not believe me, but the weirdest part was it-"

"It looked exactly like me." John and Thomas said in unison and Thomas looked at Laurens with wide eyes.

"You saw it too?"

John nodded and noticed Dr. Madison on one of the window benches staring out of the portals.

"I told you old friend." James said softly, turning to George. "It seems we have company."