Part 5

The small crew had set out in one of the rowboats. It was Washington, Jefferson, Laurens, and Hamilton, along with two of the crew there to row them to the small island and back.

They followed the curl of smoke over the surprisingly calm sea and as land came into focus, so too did the two men who were huddled near the fire. Alex got out his spyglass. "Judging by their clothes they seem to be English, sir. From our very own navy."

Washington's stoic expression didn't change. "Curious. I didn't think we had another ship anywhere near these waters. I wonder how long they've been out here. Or if they have stolen British uniforms in an attempt at sabotaging us."

The boat slid to a stop near the shore and Washington nimbly jumped out, his long legs wading through the water. He saluted the two men and looked at each of them in turn. In reaction, they both scrambled to their feet and returned the gesture.

"Gentleman, I am Admiral George Washington of the Royal Navy."

"Sir." One of them spoke crisply and formally. "I am Commander John Andre, and this here is my second, Lieutenant Benjamin Tallmadge."

Washington eyed them both up and down. "How did you two come to be shipwrecked on this island?"

"We would have been lost at sea with the rest of our crew. Our boat sank miles to the west, too far from any land for either one of us to swim."

"So how exactly did you get here?"

Tallmadge and Andre exchanged looks. "You wouldn't believe us if we told you."

"Try us." Jefferson said dryly, folding his arms over his chest.

"Mermaids."

Thomas smirked and arched an eyebrow, looking over at Washington.

George heaved a deep sigh and Andre quickly continued. "Let me explain. We had been hit. 'Twas a French vaisseaux. It was night and we didn't spot it until it was too late. They fired at us and almost instantly our bow was split. We took on water fast, heavy we were with artillery and supplies. There was panic and most sailors tried to save themselves. Jumping overboard rather then be taken down with the frigate. In the chaos, I lost sight of our captain and soon there was naught to defend or even cling to. I tread water for as long as I could, the bodies of my fellow seamen floating by and then sinking. The water seemed to soak me to my very skeleton. I was shivering and my muscles were struggling to keep my face out of the water. I started to pray, asking the Lord for forgiveness in what was surely my last hour, and then I saw it." Washington and his men were listening in rapt attention. "It started as a small silhouette in the distance, then slowly glided closer to me. The moon was at its back, making it look like it was glowing, like a beacon calling to me. I gathered what little strength I had left and swam towards it. And then I saw its face" He smiled. "It was a seduction unlike anything I've ever felt before." He smiled, lost in his memory for a moment. "I really don't recall what happened after that. I think I closed my eyes or tried to ask it a question, but when I opened them, I was here. The sun was shining and good 'ol Ben here was snoring not five paces away." He elbowed the younger man. "It appeared we were the only two survivors and when I asked him how he got here, he had a story very similar to mine."

"So this creature," Thomas hesitated to use the words siren or mermaid in front of Washington, "Did it look like you?"

"What? No. I said it seduced me. Why the hell would I be seduced by someone who looks just like me?" Andre looked at the other men confused.

"Well, it's just that-" Laurens tried to explain.

"No, no. It was a beautiful woman. Well, female at least. Didn't look like me in the slightest." Andre chuckled.