Chapter Seven: The Decision

The next morning Mitch woke up and panicked. He remembered every second of the night before. He didn’t know what he was going to do. He needed coffee so he could clear his head. He quickly got dressed into skinny jeans and a T-shirt. He looked at himself in the mirror; horrible, he thought. He threw on a snapback to hide his untamed hair.

            Once he had his shoes on, he tiptoed into the kitchen and grabbed his keys. He exited the apartment like a mouse and ran to his car. On the way to Starbucks, many scenarios came into his head. All of them ended up with someone broken-hearted.

            He pulled into the Starbucks parking lot and parked as close to the door as possible. He ordered both him and Scott’s usual (Mitch’s iced coffee and Scott’s iced white chocolate mocha) and headed out the door; drinks in hand.

            He walked into the apartment; expecting silence, when he heard the TV on his favorite cartoon; SpongeBob. He saw Scott turned toward the TV and walked toward the couch. “Hey,” he said as he handed Scott’s drink to him.

            “You could have woken me up and I would have gone with you.” Scott replied and sipped his drink.

Mitch sat down on the other side of the couch and watched the show. He wasn’t focusing on the show though. He was focused on how every few minutes; Scott scooted slightly closer to him. Soon enough, Scott was cuddling with Mitch. Mitch scooted away as little as possible so Scott didn’t notice.

“What’s wrong?” Scott asked.

“Nothing,” Mitch replied.

“Yes there is. If there wasn’t, you wouldn’t be scooting away from me and you wouldn’t be avoiding eye contact.”

“Ok there is something wrong.”

“Well tell me and we can fix it together.”

Mitch breathed heavily. I can’t tell him. He’ll be crushed. Mitch thought. The only word Mitch could muster was, “Travis.”

            “Travis?” Scott was confused for a moment before realizing Mitch’s problem. He leapt off of Mitch and onto his feet. “Oh my gosh!” Scott started pacing. He couldn’t believe what he had done to Travis and Mitch’s relationship.

            “I cheated on him.” Mitch said tearing up. “I told myself I would never cheat on anyone.”

            “It’s ok. These things happen. You can get through this.”

            “What do I do?”

            “There’s only one thing to do Mitch.”

            “What’s that?”

            “You have to choose. Me or Travis.” Scott kissed Mitch on the cheek and walked to his room; leaving Mitch alone to think in the living room.

            Mitch sat down on the couch and curled up with a pillow. I love Travis but I think I love Scott. Travis is a good match for me. If I was with Scott and we broke up, we would never be the same; but I think I love him. Travis could potentially be my future husband; but I think I love Scott.

            After an hour of thinking, he had made his decision, and called Travis to make plans to meet. Tonight is going to be a very big night. Mitch thought as he got ready.