Chapter 7

Charlotte's POV

Luke and I sit in silence. It's been a good five minutes since he's said anything.

I haven't said anything to him either.

He presses a few buttons and a CD starts playing. I don't recognize the song, but the screen says that it's a song by Good Charlotte.

He notices my stare and grumbles, switching the song. "You ruined that band for me."

I frown, scoffing. "Excuse me? I ruined that band for you? How so?"

He rolls his eyes, humming along to now a Green Day song. "Because the band's name is Good Charlotte, and your name is Charlotte. And you're not good."

That last sentence could've been taken several ways..

"Jeez, that's harsh. If you hate me so much, why'd you offer to drive me home?" I bite my lip to contain screaming.

"I'm not answering that again, I already told you."

"Well the answer you told me doesn't make any sense."

"I told you it's not happening again."

"If it's not going to happen again, might as well not do it the first time either." I fight back.

His voice is surprisingly calm. "It's dangerous out there." He mutters.

"Why do you care about me? Drop me off. Stop the car and drop me off. I don't want to ride with someone who's just plain rude."

"Stop acting like a drama queen," Luke groans, "It's so damn annoying."

"Why don't you stop acting like a bitch? I wouldn't act like a drama queen if you didn't talk to me the way you did."

He flinches slightly at my words, probably surprised at my comeback. He stays silent.

"You know, Luke, all I've ever done is try to be nice to you. Why can't you be nice to me?"

"I can't afford to."

"What does that even mean? I'm not going to use you if you're nice to me." I'm getting extremely frustrated. He doesn't make any sense.

He sighs. "Sorry." He mumbles.

What the hell?

"You are so confusing." I mumble, so quietly I'm not even sure he heard. I turn my head to look outside the window.

He licks his lips and taps his fingers on the steering wheel, waiting for the light to turn green. "You know Charlotte, I think it's best we stay away from each other."

I literally snort out loud. "Stay away? Oh wait, was that your idea Luke? Because ten minutes ago, weren't you the one who offered to drive me home? Does being in a car alone with each other mean we're staying away from each other? What's your definition?" I retort angrily.

Luke really needs to get his shit together because his mind is hella confused.

"You may know my name, Charlotte, but you know absolutely fucking nothing about my damn life!" His voice raises and his use of a harsh cuss word makes me flinch.

I lean back into the chair, like it's safer that way.

Luke looks over at me, frowning. "Are you scared of me?" He asks, sounding genuinely worried.

I shake my head vigorously. "No."

"Good. You have nothing to be scared of." He says soothingly.

"I may not be scared of you, others might feel scared though! You're cheerful, and the next second you're completely against me!" I screech.

"Watch it, Char. Besides, who cares what others think?" He says.