Chapter 14

Charlotte

As soon as I'm in my apartment, I lean against the wall, breathing a sigh of relief that it didn't go down all that bad and I escaped.

If he's truly dangerous, he could've done a lot more to me than he did.

I hated having to know.

But, if others were in this position, I wouldn't be the only one that would want to snoop.

I walk cautiously to my coffee table, sitting down and closing my eyes.

My mother was visiting tomorrow and I was now definitely sure that I was not emotionaly or mentally ready for her.

I don't even know how to explain my mixed feelings right now.

I'm embarrassed but not like, embarrassed, if you know what I mean?

Like embarrassment is a feeling I feel, but it's not a major one.

I'm also scared.

Puzzled.

Worried.

Basically everything that doesn't mean happy.

I never wanted to see Luke again.

Now he'll just remember me as that weird girl that came into his life, corrupted it, and snooped around in his priviate stuff.

Who's Kendyl?

All these questions are swarming my head and I just want to go to sleep and wake up as my 10 year old self, happy with both my parents and Jenna.

Luke has already affected my life so much, that if he disappeared one day, everything would be different.

He was the rude, atrocious, horribly behaved boy with amazing intelligence and high potential.

And I hated him for it.

I wanted all this confusion to stop.

I want all this nonsense about people dying to stop.

I want to be happy and carefree.

And lately I've just been stressed and pushing too many people's boundaries.

My phone buzzes indicating a text.

I expect it to be my mother reminding me that she's coming tomorrow, but it's not.

It's Ashton.

Hey, it's Michael texting you from Ash's phone bc i'm too lazy to get mine. We're having a party at Calum's place again like right now. You should come! Julie's here too.

I smile at my phone at Mikey's silliness.

Of course. Be there ASAP.

I text him back.

I quickly go to the bathroom to fix my hair.

I was wearing black oxfords and a pretty gold romper, so I thought that it'd work just fine for a normal party. I was in no mood to change into a dress.

I grab my phone and my keys and head out into the hallway.

As I'm waiting for the elevator, I find myself remembering the last time I went up to Calum's and how Luke got me trapped in the elevator.

I guess he was being helpful, but in my defense, it makes perfect sense for me not to believe him.

I was in a tough position.

The elevator opens and I step in, and seconds later, I walk out, finding Calum's door and knocking on it.

Nobody answers, so I try the handle and the door opens.