Chapter VI: You again

"We should talk outside," Guard said walking forward and reaching for my arm. But before he could Beebee was between us.

"You can talk after we check-in," Poe said while reaching for my arm, leading me to the front desk and began to talk with the inn Keep. I, however, turned to Guard. He was watching both of us with his same, signature silence, but I couldn't help but feel that there was something more going on.

"Hey" I turned to Poe and touched his arm. "I am going to talk to him... figure out what is going on"

Poe looked back to guard and then turned to me. "Stay where I can see you"

I nodded and turned our companion. As I walked forward I saw the tension drain slowly from Guard's shoulders. "So," I said. "Fancy seeing you around here."

"Yeah... this wasn't the plan..." He said bitterly.

"What happened?" I stepped closer so we could talk in hushed tones.

"The client is withholding pay until ... the general confirms drop off." Guard said. "Which I expected but then she called."

"Oh no," The idea of Lorena going after Guard was not the best picture. I almost felt bad for Guard.

"Yeah, she had some words with me about professionalism" He sighed. "So, long story short, I will be seeing you off tomorrow."

"No you won't" Poe came up behind me and grabbed my bag. "We made a deal, its not our fault that you have to wait a bit for payment"

"I just want to make sure I get paid."

"And I wanted to leave you at the space port." Poe stated. "But we can't always get what we want now can we"

"Poe" I reached for his arm and lead him away from the guard. Right out of earshot. "Look if you don't want him there, I understand, but he would just be seeing us off-planet." Poe looked away but I stepped into his view. "Honestly what is the harm in that? You wouldn't even be sharing a space with him-"

"The harm is we're not going off-planet" I furrowed my brow until he explained further, leaning in so no one would hear us. "This is the planet the base is on"

I leaned back and turned to Guard, who as always, was watching us. "Oh," I said.

"Yeah" Poe replied. "Oh is right"

"Fuck" I looked at him. "Why wouldn't you take another planet?"

"Because you were right about the ship.... It cant take another trip in hyperspace." He sighed, resting his hands on his hips. "I have been keeping everything looking good so Guard wouldn't catch on about the ship's condition... but that only made the damage worse."

I stepped closer to Poe. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I wanted to... when we went to the fuel port- but I had no idea if he bugged anything." Poe said.

I nodded as I mulled over his words, taking my time with each. "So you knew the ship couldn't survive two trips so you faked him out"

"Yeah"

"That's really smart." I stared at Poe in awe.

"Well," He scratched his forehead. "I am a commander, give me some credit"

I smiled and looked back to guard. "So we need to just fake him out one more time."

"What are you thinking"

"You said the ship couldn't handle a trip to hyperspace right?"

"Yeah"

"What if we don't actually go into hyperspace." I looked around. "I mean we are already here right?" Poe nodded, following my thought intently. "And all Guard has to do is see us leave atmo, so let's do that and just fly to turn around right to your base"