1

New York City was silent, the apartment lights blinding in number. Once in a while ambulances would speed down the empty streets, sirens shattering the quiet. The city communicated a sense of unease. Times Square and Central Park were empty, the neon screens presenting their advertisements to an nonexistent crowd.

A lone figure stood on a rooftop. A slight summer breeze blew through his hair, sending brown curls into disarray.

Peter stood silently on the edge of the building. Having shed his Spiderman suit hours ago, he felt relaxed as there was no reputation he needed to uphold at the moment.

He just needed to be alone with his thoughts.

Just a day ago Aunt May had passed away due to a gas leak at her home- Peter was in a wreck. Mind cloudy and heart numb, he felt truly alone. Aunt May was his last family, and losing her was like a punch to the gut. Like a switch, it woke himself up, shoving reality into his face.

Aunt May was his anchor; she brought him back, soothed him when superhero work became too much to handle. Now she was gone.

Peter really wanted to end it all.

Staring out at the sea of lights, as if for the first time, Peter felt a sense of unfamiliarity towards the city he had grown up in. The world was enormous, and people would keep on going with their lives after he was gone. He didn't matter much, really. Tomorrow, a few people may wonder where Spiderman was. Weeks later, he'd just be part of the past.

Shuffling closer to the roof's edge, Peter peeked down at the ground. An ambulance rushed past, and he was reminded of yesterday's horrors. With New York being impacted the heaviest by the coronavirus, it took a while for the ambulance to arrive at his aunt's house. Peter could only stare, helpless, with tears running down his cheeks as she was lifted away in a stretcher. Deep in his heart, he knew that it was already too late.

He wasn't even able to say goodbye.

Peter took a deep breath, and wiped at his teary eyes. No use for him to get emotional now. He took a step forward.

3, 2, 1..

"Hey, kid."

Peter stopped. He knew that voice.

He slowly turned around.

"Deadpool?"