2

It was indeed Deadpool standing there before him. The ex-mercenary's masked eyes widened upon hearing the name.

He pointed at himself. "Wow. You know me?"

Peter stopped himself before he could say 'yes'. Deadpool didn't know his civilian identity yet; they were only buddies with the superhero suits on.

"Aren't you Spiderman's sidekick or something?" He feigned dumb.

"Sidekick! I guess that's one way to put it. I like to think of it as, 'companions till the end of time'." Upon saying this, Deadpool casually threw his arm over Peter's shoulder and guided him away from the edge of the roof. The infamous mercenary kept on jabbering, "You're probably wondering why I'm here and not him. You see, I've been on the mend- yep, no more killing!- and good ol' Spidey has been teaching me how to be a hero! And one thing I've learned is that it's really important to save guys like you." He patted Peter's back, and the smaller flinched away.

"I appreciate your wanting to help, Deadpool, but I don't need it. You should go on your way, help with robberies or whatever it is you do now." Peter tried to shrink away, but Deadpool kept a firm grasp on his shoulder.

"Sorry sweetie, but I know what's going on here. Well, kinda. I mean, I've done this kind of stuff before, cowabunga-ing off of buildings and all that jazz. Lots of times. And I might not know exactly what you're going through right now and what kind of fuckery brought you here, but let me tell you something. When you hit the ground, that shit really hurts."

Peter opened his mouth to speak, but Deadpool interrupted him. "And you might think, well, it's different because I can't die. That's where you're wrong. I might not be able to die, but that doesn't mean I can't feel pain! When you splat on the pavement, with all your ribs in the wrong place, your brain leaking out of your skull, and your femur sticking out of your hip..." He shuddered. "No thanks."

"You're basically telling me that pills are the better way to go," Peter deadpanned.

Deadpool gasped. "No, not at all! They may be less painful, but..."

"But what?"

"Dammit, I don't know. I'm not good at this stuff, okay?"

"If you're not good at this stuff maybe it's a sign that you should go do something else and leave me alone."

"Ouch, that hurt. Leave you alone, to what? Wallow in your sadness? Sorry baby boy, but I can't exactly trust you to be by yourself right now."

Peter froze. Baby boy? I thought he only called Spiderman that. Does he know my identity?

"You don't trust me? Well I don't trust you either. You killed people, Deadpool. Maybe you'll kill me too. Actually, please do- Shoot me in the head or something." Peter didn't mean to be rude, but he was extremely annoyed that the other had interrupted him during his "moment", and was now calling him all sorts of names.

Ignoring Peter, Deadpool tapped his chin as he began to think, "Oh, I know what can help lift your spirits!" he declared as he tugged a protesting Peter away, "I know this Mexican restaurant down the block that has sick burritos."

Peter silently rolled his eyes as he was hauled away.