Chapter 2: The Voice on the Radio

Still nothing from Felicity. Had she fallen asleep on the job?

Maria pulled the walkie-talkie out of her belt, where it occupied a place next to her empty holster, and tried once more to contact her partner. "Are you there?" she asked, with no small annoyance.

To her surprise and momentary relief, the speaker finally crackled to life. But relief gave way to unease as a harsh whisper came over the channel.

"Maria, is that you?"

"That's me. You're going to have to speak up. There's a lot of static."

"Shh! Not so loud," the voice rasped. "He'll hear you."

"Who'll hear me? Aren't you supposed to be alone over there?" asked Maria, bewildered and concerned for Felicity's safety. "Wait, you still have my gun, right?"

"Never mind about that."

Why was Felicity whispering, assuming this was even Felicity? Hoarse as the voice was, she couldn't even be sure of that much. The walkie-talkies transmitted encrypted audio, so in theory nobody but Felicity should have been able to eavesdrop, much less speak to her. 

And yet...

"What do you mean, never mind?" said Maria. "If Noelle finds out, we're in trouble. It was a gift!"

The day before, Maria had accidentally broken Felicity's handgun. Felicity had been walking her through some quick disassembly techniques, and in a moment of clumsiness, Maria had damaged the extractor. Apologizing profusely, she'd agreed to let Felicity borrow her revolver until the part was replaced. It was an act of much generosity, but little common sense, and one that she'd soon regret.

"It'll be fine. Say, Maria," asked the voice, "would you do me another favor?"

Her eyes narrowed. This smelled as rancid as two-month-old fly food. "What kind of favor?"

"Could you leave a few things in the hall by Dr. Palmstroem's door?"

"But you aren't even supposed to be patrolling this wing tonight."

"It's for an experiment."

An experiment! In spite of herself, Maria was curious. "Really?"

"I'll need a bottle of antifreeze and a paintbrush. For testing some chemical properties."

"Like... toxicity?" Maria asked, then mentally cursed herself for the anxiety in her voice.

"No, no, heavens no. It'd be easier if I just showed you. Just leave the antifreeze and paintbrush by Dr. Palmstroem's door, and I'll give back the gun."

"I don't think this is a good idea."

"You could always tell him. But then Noelle would have to find out about the gun, wouldn't she?"

This act of blackmail blindsided Maria. "Wait, you begged me to lend it to you! Why are you acting like this?"

"I just don't want us to get caught."

What a mess. But maybe if she played along for the time being, she'd learn more about what was going on. Perhaps she should have simply refused —  but that's not how it happened.

"Fine," said Maria. "I'll do it. But I'm never lending you anything again."

[INTERACTIVE SEGMENT: Where on this floor might Maria most likely find antifreeze or coolant? And where can she find a paintbrush? Post your guesses in the comment at right.]