Ekaete

Ekaete

Oct 1, 1960

I stared out the window, watching the sky weep. Little droplets of water fell and stuck to the window pane. The rain didn't seem like it would stop any moment soon. Although I really wasn't paying attention to the rain, I was thinking about something else. I was thinking of finally carrying a baby in my arms. My own child, giggling as I threw her up and down. I smiled from my thoughts. To my husband, I must look crazy. To anyone else, I am crazy. My husband and I have been married for five years now, and still, no child.

Everyone had given up on me, only snickering and gossiping from behind. My husband, of course, has tried for the both of us, giving his support and all, but I could feel him slipping away. He had already told me to stop thinking about a baby. He said sometimes I would stare off into space, either a smile or frown on my face, and apparently it wasn't good for my health. It was easy for him to say. In Nigeria, a woman without a child cannot stop thinking.

But I knew I wouldn't stop. I wouldn't stop thinking of running around with a child in my arms. I wouldn't stop smiling, I wouldn't stop hoping, I wouldn't stop praying, I wouldn't stop fighting.
===============

"Ekaete...you fight and sometimes you win, and you fight and sometimes you lose, right?"

Ete (Father) whispered into my right ear while I sat on his laps, playing with his long beard which tickled my tiny palms.

"Yes, Ete mmi (My father)" I responded distractedly, suddenly remembering the last duel I had with Emem, which unfortunately had resulted in me running home with tears.

"Yes, but always remember ndoko mma (Beauty Queen); You must fight no matter your situation. Never give up. Promise me you'll never stop fighting eyen mmi (my child)" Ete (father) persuaded.

"I promise?" I answered, if only to soothe whatever ache he seemed to be having.

"Never stop"
================

I would never stop fighting because of my promise to my father. I would never give up. I would have faith in the Almighty God. I knew I would carry my child one day. In fact, very soon.

"Ndoko mma! (Beauty Queen)"

Snapping out of my thoughts, I followed the sound of my husband's loud and excited voice, ringing from the living room.

"Quick come and see. Kai! Come and see o!" He shouted again.

I smiled and walked towards the living room, eager to see what my husband could possibly be so excited about, though I was well aware my husband could get overly excited for even the littlest of things, such as a gift of a snuff box.

"See the news. We are free Ekaete, we have independence, the white men are finally gone!"

Immediately I arrived at the living room, he lifted me up by my waist and spun us around. My wrapper would have fallen if he had not put me down on stable ground in time.

"It's a lie. Were they actually serious?!" I asked my husband wide eyed.

"Do not joke with me Etim" I warned.

"Do you really think I am joking? Oya come and see for yourself"

He pointed to the television. I tried to fix my wrapper back into its proper position as I gently shoved him aside to get a better look. It was true, the handing over ceremony had just been completed. The British Union Jack had been lowered and a proudly displayed green white green of the Nigerian flag was hoisted in its place. The white men were finally going back to their land. Finally. Now we had our own country back, filled with it's own people.

I could hear the joyous hoots and shouts of all our neighbours around us. They must have heard the news already. The sweet music of freedom filled my eardrums and my heart danced in my chest. This was just the beginning. Soon, the whole country would rejoice, because finally, we were free.

*****

A/n
:)What do you think about this book so far?
Do you like this teaser chapter?
Please let me know what you think in the comments section.
And don't forget to vote as well.
Thank you ;)
Xoxo.