Rebels Family Oneshot (Part 2)

Hera woke up early the next day.  She always rose with the sun.  She put on her usual weekend outfit: yellow-orange sweatpants with brown boots and a loose brown top with a wraparound headband of brown and yellow stripes.

     Despite her rising with the sun, Kanan was up earlier.  He wore olive green shirt and gray pants with black boots and had already made pancakes for breakfast.  Despite her maternal personality, Hera could burn water.  Kanan was the cooker of the family, Hera could barely make salad.

     "Ready to go grow the family?" asked Kanan, offering her her favorite blueberry pancakes.

     "Ready as I'll ever be," replied Hera, wolfing down the pancakes.

---

     It was a long drive and the time was almost 9:30 by the time they got to the shiny new adoption center.  There were sprawling grounds and many levels  Kids through teenagers were milling around, yelping and playing.

     Hera smiled at how happy these kids were, but felt a pang of sadness to think they had no parents.  She wanted to bring them all home with her., but even their new home wouldn't be big enough.

     "Sorry!  Watch out!" yelled a voice, and a large boy ran past them, followed by a smaller one  "ZEB, GIVE IT BACK!"

     Hera instinctively grabbed the larger boy's arm and gazed at him sternly.  "All right, what did you do?"  The boy had messy purple hair, green eyes, and was built burly, though he was probably only in 7th or 8th grade.

     "Sorry, ma'am," he replied.  "Here." He handed the smaller boy back a soccer ball.  "I suppose you're going to report me now?"  He acted like he didn't care, but Hera saw his shoulders droop a bit.

     Hera glanced at Kanan like You thinking what I'm thinking?  Kanan rolled his eyes like Seriously?  This is the kid you choose?  Hera glared at him, and he sighed.

     "I was a troubled kid too, remember?" chided Hera.  She turned to the boy.  "Actually, Zeb right?  We're thinking of adopting, think you could help us out?"

     It took Zeb a second to catch on, and then he perked up, speechless.  "Me?  You want me?" he asked.  "But no one ever likes me!  Not since my family..."

     "It's all right," said Hera softly.  "I didn't have a great childhood either.  You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

     "I used to live in a big group with my family," he said.  "My immediate family, grandparents, cousins and aunts and uncles.  But one day, our property was sold by a big company called Kallus Inc. and my family had nowhere to go.  My parents couldn't take care of me anymore."

     "Well, you're in luck!" Hera said.  "I'm Hera Syndulla, this is Kanan Jarrus.  Come with us.  We've been looking for a family man."

     "Wow, I mean... that means a lot, I mean, YES!" Zeb replied.  "What are we waiting for?"