Chapter 8

***So, I have sort of mixed feelings about the song for this chapter...but it was honestly the only thing that made sense! Sorry, couldn't find a good lyric video!***

 ***(Jay's POV; song for this chapter: "How Bizarre" by OMC)***

Last night with Nya was fun. I could tell she was upset about what Lloyd had foolishly said, but she seemed better this morning. And we got a chance to talk on the way to school. Apparently, she's a closet Disney fan, prefers cats over dogs, and has been begging Kai to teach her to drive for six months.

I told her that as her fake boyfriend, I would be happy to do the honors of letting her drive my car.

So far, I'm really enjoying getting to know Nya better. But I think Cole might have a good point about not being able to let go after getting so close. I can't give up my only chance, though. It's like some weird paradox: I may never really get her, so I shouldn't let my heart be hers; but if I never give her my heart, I'll never know what it's like to be with her. I am so, so confused.

"Brother Pele's in the back,

Sweet Zina's in the front,

Cruisin' down the highway in the hot, hot sun.

Suddenly, red-blue lights flash us from behind,

Loud voice booming,

'Please step out onto the line.'

Pele preaches words of comfort,

Zina just hides her eyes.

Policeman taps his shades.

Is that a Chevy '69?

How bizarre.

How bizarre, how bizarre."

However, all my happy feelings fade when I get to school. Word has spread throughout the student body that our band's drum major, Jacob, has been kidnapped. He's the elemental master of sound, so Nya and I shoot each other a look. The Sons of Garmadon have to be involved with his disappearance.

As we head to our English class, Nya whispers, "You and I are doing some reconnaissance after Spanish tutoring today."

"Spanish tutoring? What time is that?"

"It's at 2:30. Sorry, I forgot to tell you I was starting that today."

I shrug. "No problem. Who's your tutor?"

She wrinkles her nose. "I can't pronounce his name. I seriously hope he has a nickname."

I laugh. "Speaking of nicknames, I was thinking...um...that you would maybe want to create some for each other? Just for Kai's sake."

"How do you make nicknames for us? Our actual names are literally three letters each!"

I chuckle. "True. But we have a really great ship name: Jaya."

This elicits a giggle from her. "I guess it works better than Nyy. That's just awkward."

I grin. I think I just might be falling in love with her.

Okay, who am I kidding? I've been in love with her for...well, for forever. I just...now that we're so close, it seems even more real.

"Destination unknown as we pull in for some gas.