Chapter 13

***Okay, lots of mixed feelings writing this. I promise you, this is the closest Nya and Jay will get! :) ***

***(Jay's POV; song for this chapter: "Put Your Head On My Shoulder" by Paul Anka)***

At last, Nya and I reach the top of the ladder. The Sons of Garmadon are long out of sight now. It was a slow trek up, since Nya is literally freezing to death. Once she's okay, we're going to have our first fight: The one where I tell her what a stupid move she made going after the gang leader alone, and the one where she shrugs it off and thinks I'm being overprotective.

Cole extends his hands to help pull Nya up, and I carefully release my grip on her. She's too complacent for her normal self. I don't like it.

As soon as I enter the jet, I see Skylor is in full army general mode.

"We need to get her out of those clothes. They're freezing wet!"

"What?!" Kai roars from the cockpit. He throws open the door and is about to come see his sister for himself, but Skylor marches toward him.

"Get back in there and steer the ship! Your sister's fine!" she bellows.

Kai looks like he wants to argue, but she points him back to his job. He releases an exasperated sigh and trudges back inside.

"Do we have any emergency blankets in here?" she asks Lloyd.

He nods. "I think they're up front with Kai." Even though he's bound to be lectured as soon as he gets in there, he rushes to complete the task.

"What happened?" Cole exclaims.

"Like an idiot, she tried to take down the gang leader on her own," Skylor huffs.

I pull off my azure sweatshirt and hand it to her. "Here. It'll be oversized on Nya, but I don't know that we have many more options."

"Good." Then, she snaps, "Lloyd, are you done yet? We don't have all day!"

He runs out of the pilot's deck. "Okay, I found a couple." He hands a few small, plastic-covered packages to Skylor.

"Okay, great. Cole, help Kai pilot the ship."

"Sounds like a plan." He swivels and heads for the pilot's deck.

"All right," Skylor continues. "Now, you two, turn around! I am not about to face the wrath of Kai or Nya for letting you watch me undress her!"

I shake my head. "You're going to need help. I'm not going to look."

Lloyd casts me a disgusted look, but I glare at him in response. Does he really think I'm going to stand around while Nya could be dying?

Skylor nods. "Fine. Get over here."

I help hold Nya up while Skylor does...whatever she's doing. I'm looking at the ceiling. Nya would kill me if she realized what was going on. The guys better not say a word.

"Okay, we're all good," Skylor informs me. "Lay her down flat across the row of seats. Actually, no. Jay, lay down across the seats first. You'll help keep her warm. And take off your shirt so we can make the most of skin-to-skin contact."

I am the color of a tomato.

"Are you kidding me?" Lloyd groans.

"No, and quit standing around, would you? Go call your mom or something. She probably knows more about hypothermia than we do."