Chapter 2: Family Diner

In just 6 months, the diner had become the height of attraction in the area.

Many, many birthday parties were hosted there to entertain the mass of the local children.

And William was living his dream with the newest addition to his family. Tristen. His luscious brown hair brought a smile to the Afton family every day. He always brought his youngest to work with him to watch the other kids enjoy themselves with the mascots.

Michael helped his dad with general management, Elizabeth helped him with decorations, and his wife helped with set-up and shutdown. The teamwork was flawless and everyone loved it. It puts the family in 'Family Diner'.

*****

Afton sat up late one night at the designing table in his study when he found a very old book sitting on the floor beside it.

He picked it up and peered at the title. "A Little Soul Power," he read to himself as memories began to splash back into him.

*****

William's father sat down on his son's bed and continued the story.

"On the next day, the strong man returned to the village doctor in haste.

"'Why is my strength not fully back?!' exclaimed the man. 'You need 4 more children to complete your task. Only then will you achieve full strength,' said the doctor.

"So the man found another young child just outside the village. This child was very smart for her age and could not be fooled by desserts. So the man told her that her pet was in trouble in the forest. The girl immediately followed the man into the forest where he took a rock and bashed her head with it. Then the doctor did the same incantation as he did the night before. He received more strength.

"For the third child, he found a brown-haired boy within his own home. Then he led the boy outside with a loud noise and locked the door behind him. He took shears and shaved his head too deep. The man took the boy to the doctor and the doctor did the same incantation as he did the night before. He received more strength.

"For the fourth child, the man found another girl, older but still lively with energy picking flowers in the field. He brought a poisonous flower to her, and as she tried tasting the sweet nectar of the flower he brought, she fell. The man took the girl to the doctor and the doctor did the same incantation as he did the night before. He received more strength.

"For the fifth child, the man found a girl sitting on top of a house, watching the horses go by. He quietly pushed her off of the roof and brought her to the doctor. Then the doctor did the same incantation as he did the night before. But this time, the doctor showed the man something. He brought a knife over to the man and cut his hand with it. The man winced, but felt no pain. He looked down as his cut was rapidly healed. The healing powers were activated. His mission was comple..."

"Hmm," William's father wondered, "it looks like the rest of the pages are torn out."

William pouted, "Aww man." He slumped down in his bed.

His father comforted him, "I'll find the other pages soon." He ruffled William's hair as he left the room.

*****

William set the book down in good memory and got an idea. Maybe the book is right. Maybe he could make himself immortal by doing what was in the book.

He started with the base design for his new animatronic. Perhaps...he looked at a picture of Elizabeth. Perhaps a girl. He outlined and started with the base specs.

An ice cream maker, and maybe a balloon inflator module, all within the mascot. It would be made of metal. Expensive but effective.

And a capturing device, something like a claw. As his left eye twitched furiously, William drafted on the paper the entire fundamental design for a new mascot to lead a new restaurant. His new baby.