Chapter 14: Breaking Up the Band

Black umbrellas were raised high as the final screw was drilled into the plaque.

"Charlotte Emily" the name read.

The funeral-goers slowly trickled away, eventually leaving only the father, mother, and Michael.

The mother, kneeling, continued weeping silently. Michael stared at the ground, wondering where his dad went off to. And Henry only stared at the grave, smoking a heavy cigar.

Afton was toiling away in his workshop. The sounds and smells of burning and cooling metal filled the air as he attempted to gain soul remnant from Charlotte's remains.

"It had better work this time," Afton said with labored breath as he continued the dripping process.

After its completion, he drank the remnant only to no avail, receive more youth, "Of course I can crack the fountain of youth, but not immortality!" He smashed the bottle against the floor and ground it with his foot as his face lit up.

"More," he muttered, "I need more. Lots more. Enough to feed a horse." He began writing down plans for another scheme.

*****

Henry drove home, with Michael and Mrs. Emily. The car ride was silent, save the engine.

Henry began remembering the events.

Henry yelled at the sky before he dragged his daughter's cold and limp body into the restaurant. Fear and dismay ran across the patron's faces as they scattered away from the sight. Mrs. Emily fainted at the sight of her daughter with a hole in her chest, stricken with mud.

Children and parents began to run. Henry only stood there, watching the hysteria. The police arrived and arrested Henry due to him looking like a suspect, but he didn't resist. Everything was grey.

A horn honked as Henry stopped his daydream and hit the brakes. A pileup had happened on the highway behind him. He sped away to avoid confrontation.

*****

The next day, Afton appeared to have cleaned up greatly, minus his now thin stature.

The Emily family and his two sons were glad to see him back to his normal self. He ate breakfast with them and even went to the park with them. It was mostly smiles all around besides Afton and Henry. Henry, mournful for his daughter, and Afton, silently planning a new way to acquire remnant. 

All the while, the group traipsed around indulging in Charlotte's favorite restaurants and locations in town. The day was full of joyful eating times and entertainment. 

Near the end, they drove home. Mrs. Emily went to bed immediately. Michael put Tristen to bed and then stayed on the porch to wonder why the stars are harder to see back in his homeland versus in the States. Afton crashed on the sofa. And Henry stared at the picture of Charlotte on the wall of his study.

He sat there until way past everyone else had gone to sleep. Tears streamed down his face for hours in silence. 

*****

You're a lazy sickness William.

Afton sat up in his bed again. He hadn't heard that voice since he'd ran away.

Get up, the voice said.

William stood instinctively and Afton Sr. walked through the door.

Afton backed up in fear, "I...I thought you were dead. They said you died in a cigarette fire."

Afton Sr. walked towards his son slowly. "I'm too strong to die like that, son." A devilish smile painted itself across his face. Then Michael appeared beside him, but younger again.

"Kill him," Afton Sr. said. "Finish the job William."

Afton shouted, "I won't do it! You don't have control over me anymore!"

"Oh, do I not?" Afton Sr. scoffed. The room began to shake, and Michael was hanging from the ceiling.

Afton closed his eyes and curled up in the corner as his father began to laugh.

"Dad?" Michael asked. Afton opened his eyes.

The room was normal, his father was gone. His son was standing in the doorway.

Michael's eyebrows furrowed with concern. "Are you okay Dad?"

Afton's eyes were wild with fear. "You don't see yourself hanging from the ceiling over there?" He pointed to a corner, but his son couldn't see himself.

Michael disregarded his antics and left.

*****

In the afternoon, Henry finally emerged from his study. The Aftons had their bags packed and were standing by the door.

"What's going on here?" Henry questioned. "Are you guys leaving already?"

Afton explained, "I'm working on a new business venture since our new location is doing pretty well. Hopefully I can improve on the Family Diner and this new idea I have. I'll check in from time to time."

Afton shook Henry's hand. "You've been a good partner, but this is the end."

"Will you come back?" Henry said as his eyes welled up with tears again.

"Most likely not, my good American."

Henry sensed a weird tinge in Afton's eyes. Almost like guilt.

Then William left with his two sons and drove away.

*****

Afton began adding new modifications to the old models in his now old workshop back in the UK.

It was time to rent out the competition.