Chapter 22

Diana

We drove the car as fast as we could. I almost wanted to tell Victor to go after them, but I decided against it. We would need as much firepower as we could get to get him back. I had Caleb pop my arm back in place. It hurt, but the pain was much less than it was prior. Sean stopped at a fast food place on the way and bought us some food. Of course, I ate most of it. Whether it was from using a lot of energy or the stress remained a mystery. Caleb seemed shocked I could eat so much.

"How are you able to eat so much?"

"Teleporting takes a lot out of me. I eat to get the energy back."

"I wish I could keep a figure like that with how much you're eating."

"What are you talking about? You're as thin as a twig."

"Because I don't eat much."

"Guys, I'd love to hear your weight watchers tips, but I would like to focus on getting us to the city before Adam disappears forever."

"Okay, I might be new here," Caleb said, "but he just took this guy and ran off? Doesn't that seem weird to you?"

"Shiva doesn't know what his ability is," I said. "He can reverse time. They can't track him since he can push himself back before he set their radar off. That's how they were able to find you in Detroit. They want Adam dead since they can't track him."

"Okay, so how do you know he's still alive?"

I looked over at Sean and made eye contact.

"We don't," he said.

"It's just a hunch, but I know Lancaster," I said. "He's going to use him as a setup. He wants to catch as much of us as he can in one shot."

"Isn't that a little risky?" Caleb asked.

"He's already failed to catch Adam three times already. The Commissioner isn't happy when his tools fail to get the job done. He likes to... encourage them for better outcomes in the future. He's making up for it by trapping us along with him."

"But... we don't know for sure?"

"No. It's only a theory, but I know Lancaster better than almost anyone. His own pride gave him the idea, and I can guarantee that's his plan."

"If he's still alive, then why haven't you told anyone to go after him?"

"Because, as much as I trust Victor to know what he's doing, he can't do it alone with just Mariyah. We're going to give Lancaster more than he bargained for."

"What?"

I looked at Caleb. "You."

~~~

Adam

At this point, I couldn't tell if I was wet from water, sweat, urine, or maybe all of the above. My body was screaming at me. I shook from the pain, praying the shocks would stop. I had already thrown up twice. The air was rancid from my vomit. Lancaster was starting to lose the fun of my torture.

"I don't understand why you won't let me help you, Adam," he knelt in front of me. "If you would just tell me what you can do, then this would be all over."

My voice trembled, hoarse and dry.

"Go... to Hell."

He dropped the wire. He picked up his chair and threw it at the wall. He grabbed my shoulders firmly.

"I am sick and tired of you not talking. Why are you hiding it? All of this pain didn't have to happen."

I rolled my eyes.