Chapter 8: The Ire

Prolonged anger represent is like grasping a hot, handle-less pot with the plan of hurling it at someone far away, without ever completing the task. In the end, the one who gets burned, is you.

Lust sat in Nermal's lair.

"Thou had him," Nermal shouted, "Thou whence so nigh to obtaining his soul! and thou leas'd him to be liberat'd?!"

"It's not my fault, boss," jibbed Lust, "the boy has a resistance to me. Besides, he is a minor threat to me; there is a gentlemen's club opening up in three minutes, and I must attend. Perhaps you should put something with a little more brains than an imp? Maybe Gluttony?"

Nermal was in no mood to appeal to such comical manners, even though Gluttony was the most primordial of all sins, barely keener than a tree that has been cut down to celebrate the birthday of a majority of mortal world's inhabitances' savior in the winter of the planet of Earth.

"Thou hast to hast a subterfuge to claim these souls, to always hast a way to ploy, to always hast a way to be moreov'r?"

"I did find out that the girl you told me to pose as, Joni, has trouble controlling her emotions ... Especially anger."

It had been nearly half-an-hour since Nermal's attempt to use Lust against Samson.

They all learned about this attempt that happened behind the wall as soon as Joni looked up from her snivel and asked, "Why are you wearing that mask?"

He explained everything (save things he did not want to share, like Lust turning into Joni) and they immediately tried to comfort him.

They had voyaged to the sauna; or at least a room with the only working heater.

Joni asked Samson, "So, what was it like being isolated for all that time?"

As if to answer her question, a solitary wall sprung up from the floor as they did with Samson, but this time, separating Joni.

Joni looked at Samson for his answer, but all she got was terror in his eyes as he started to strike against an invisible wall.

"Samson, we are in no joking matter," said Joni, slowly getting annoyed.

Then everyone, Kno included, started to join in, but they seemed to be calling, "Joni!" but she could not hear anyone.

"Nice try guys," said Joni, trying to stay calm, "See, I'll do it too."

She parroted her friends and hailed down onto the fake barrier.

To her revelation, her hand came into contact with something.

But what? There was nothing there, or, at least, it didn't seem like there was anything there.

Her irritation quickly evolved to trepidation. She was trapped, and she could not do anything to transcend this invisible trap.

The fear ate her quicker than most people, for she had the phobia of enclosed spaces.

As she began to become paralyzed from shear fear, a booming voice shot in to her ears, "HA! They were right!"

Joni turned around to find a ball of fire, of which altered its appearance into an auburn Minotaur with stemming eyes and a right hand that seemed to be mechanical.

"What are you?" asked Joni, knowing that real Minotaur are not born of fire.

"I am of the same species as what burnt off the face of your boyfriend. A sin! WRATH!

You may also be wondering why my eyes haze. That's because, anger is always boiling within me, and boiling thins give off steam."

"Samson is not my boyfriend."

"No? Could have fooled me, considering how you two feel for each other, Lust always studies before transmuting. You hide your feelings for him under fury. If he could see and hear us from the other side of that wall, he would agree."

"Shut up cow!" yelled Joni.

"I AM NOT A COW!!" shouted Wrath, as he battered the bench he sat on in two, "I WILL NOW TEACH YOU SOME MANNERS!"

His eyes caught a flame as he grabbed some remains and threw them at the livid, black-haired, teenage girl, who, luckily, evaded them.

Joni retaliated by taking the stifling pike from the sauna's inferno, "What the Hell do you know about manners you stupid, little ingrate?" (She yelled more, but that sort of language is not to be retorted.)

"Now let me out of this tiny coop you put me in! Now let me out of this tiny coop you put me in!"

Wrath grasped his shoulder where Joni injected the pike, "Even if I wanted to, I couldn't! You have to be calm to pass through that partition. Looks like you're gonna be in here forever!"

At that, Wrath transmuted back into the flame he first appeared as, and floated away.

Joni went up to the wall and uttered, "So the only way to join my friends again is to be calm, I can do this." She sealed her eyes and said to herself as she walked forward, "Ok. Palm trees, the ocean, a summer breeze."

She kept on repeating this and walking forward and did not dare open her eyes until she heard the sound of, "Joni? Joni, can you hear me?" coming from her buddies.

"Yeah, I can hear you," she answered to the group who did not realize that she had escaped.

"Joni!" they shouted, Samson being the loudest as he ran up to hug her.

"What happened in there?" he asked.

"Well, I was assailed by Wrath," she explained, "but I also learned something that I hoped was true for a long time."

"And what would that be then?" enquired Samson.

"Let me show you."

Joni took off Samson's façade, drew him closer to her, and gave him what he longed for a long time. A vast, sodden snog.