Chapter One: The Unusual and Crumby Day

Today was an unusual day for the Hamato brothers. First, their father woke up in an unusually social mood. Then, Raphael woke up in time for training. Donnie didn't blow anyone or anything up and it was already 11:30 in the morning. And Michelangelo hadn't whined about anything. Well, anything important.

The eldest brother, Leonardo was beginning to become very concerned with the stability of his family. If there wasn't at least one argument a day, his family would either explode, or become the most dreadful thing of all......normal. Raph was sitting in the bean bag chair, reading a magazine, listening to Michelangelo's ridiculous TV show Crognard the Barbarian. Raphael obviously was in his rotten mood, as per usual but that seemed to be the only thing normal about the day so far. Not to mention the Lair was dead silent.

Leo wasn't one for confrontation. He never liked his arguments with Raphael, or any of his brothers for that matter. And the majority of those arguments occurred because of Raphael's obsessive need to be better than everyone. Sometimes his ego would get the better of him. All Leo wanted was a conversation that didn't end in a screaming match.

Donatello was a good person to sit down and have a nice conversation with. But somehow, someway, the smartest turtle was always found a way to change the subject so swiftly, his brothers wouldn't even notice.

Michelangelo would ramble on and on about unnecessary things such as TV shows or some comic book that he'd read but wouldn't comprehend. And typically, they'd be horror comics and the youngest turtle wouldn't sleep for a month. Mikey was a good conversation starter but never knew when to shut up.

That left Raphael.

Master Splinter would obviously be the better choice but he was in the middle of a meditation session and you DO NOT interrupt Sensei's meditation.

Okay, Raphael was the best bet.

How was Leonardo supposed to start the conversation without irritating his immediate younger brother before the conversation even started? Maybe start off with an ice breaker?

"Hey Raph, training was pretty weird today, huh?" Leo smiled, keeping his comic handy. Just in case the hothead wasn't in the mood to chit chat.

Raph dropped the magazine just enough so his fiery, green eyes poked over the top.

"Yea?" Raph said, pulling the magazine back over his eyes.

"I mean, Splinter letting us out a half an hour early?" Leo scoffed awkwardly.

"Dude." Raph giggled from behind the magazine.

"What?"

"You seriously have to work on your social skills." Raph laughed, closing the magazine, putting it down beside him giving his brother his full attention.

"They're not that bad." Leo whined.

"Yea they are." Raph smiled.

"Well, yours are pretty bad too." Leo barked.

"No, I'm not the one struggling to start a conversation." Raph said, leaning back on the couch crossing his arms over his plastron.

"Whatever." Leo scoffed.

"Dude, chill! I was just messing with you." Raph smiled.

"Why can't you be nice for once in your life and have a simple conversation with your brother and not make fun of him in the process!?" Leo snapped.

"The way you started it was really bad, though." Mikey piped in.

Leo didn't say anything. His mouth hung open, staring at his youngest brother.