4 - All That Is In My Heart

It had been 2 days since Gilbert got back from Charlottetown, but he missed Anne a lot already. He couldn't do his assignments, he couldn't eat, he couldn't sleep, he couldn't take strolls around campus without thinking of Anne and his ever-growing love for her. His love had flipped him inside out, making it hard to breathe when he kissed her, and he loved her with such a passion that was indescribable by any human language. Yet, he felt almost calm with every hand-holding and hug they shared, she made him a better person.

He must tell her, write a complete essay on his feelings for his beloved Anne. That would certainly make it easier to concentrate without thinking of Anne's burning ember hair or her freckles that resembled the night sky or her eyes as blue and deep as the ocean. So, even though it would be five pages long, maybe even more, Gil rushed to his desk and quickly set out some paper and dipped his fountain pen, ready to write. He paused as the pen rested above the page, closed his eyes, and took a deep breath. Then, the pen began to move.

My dearest Anne,

It has only been two days since we last saw each other, and I must say in strictest confidence that I love the way you danced that night. I love the way you dance every day, and I cannot express my excitement for the day we shall be reunited.

Balancing my thick workload and stress is a major job to complete, but as heavy as it is on my shoulders, thinking of you makes it light as a feather. Even if I stay up until the sunrise completing homework, I remind myself that getting my assignments in on time gets me one more step closer to you, us, and our future together. Anne, I can't stop thinking of you, so I fill this letter with all that is in my heart as of now.

Anne, I see you everywhere. I see you in the flowers that grow on the boulevard, I hear your sweet and calming laughter with the morning songbirds, I feel the thrilling touch of your hand in the soft leaves that cover the forest floor. I smile enough to break my jaw at the thought of your smile, and I see the constellations of the night sky in your freckles, as vast as the universe. You have always demented these features of yourself, but my love, I only see the most wonderful person the world has ever brought forth. And, as much as your looks give me butterflies in my stomach, it is your intelligence and passion of everything that comes your way or that surrounds your life that is truly the grace upon my life, and the propelling force in making my effervescent love evolve into something larger and stronger. Your confidence and enthusiasm that pushes me forward during difficult times, the beauty of you that keeps me restless and grinning like a fool, a fool in love with you.

I love, love, love you so much. It increases in strength every minute we are apart, and every minute we are together. I can fill an entire chalkboard with the same sentence "I'm in love with Anne Shirley-Cuthbert" but rather as a punishment, I would like to do this in my spare time, with no regrets. I love you, I love you, I love you. Anne, I truly cannot say this enough.

With everything that has happened to us before that fateful day I leaped off the train to be by your side, I reflect on those events and how idiotic I was and how I was a coward, making my first love confession a single sentence, to which you replied with a drunken ramble, but at the time, I thought that was it. I would never see you again. Until a series of events, fortunately, brought us together. I couldn't handle myself, seeing you drift down those white stairs in that lovely blue dress like an angel. I loved the elegance of the white lace and the deep blue fabric that only made your eyes more vibrant. Kissing you for the first time was such a thrill, I could drown in my own feelings, but you pulled me to the surface.

And even as we love one another either from close or afar, I can't wait to propose to you, to marry you, to buy a house with you, to have children with you, to grow old with you, and every rant, kiss and passionate moment in between.

I offer you my hand, my heart, and a share in all of my possessions. I ask you to pass through life at my side - to be my second half, and best earthly companion.

See you at the train station on Christmas Eve, Carrots.

With love,
Gilbert

He set his pen down and took another deep breath as he gathered the pages and carefully put his beloved words into an envelope, kissing the outside once it was sealed. He set it by his bedside table and organized his things to return to bed, only to dream of Anne's smile for the millionth time.

After he rose at dawn, Gil dressed and headed to the post office to deliver the letter as soon as possible, thinking Anne will read it a few days before or maybe the morning of his arrival. He was running, no sprinting to the building. He rushed through the front door and calmed himself as he walked towards the desk, breathing heavily.

"This--this one goes to Charlottetown, PEI," he breathed out to the man behind the counter. He nodded as he retreated the back to place it among other letters.

As Gil walked back to his dorm to get ready for the school day, he kept asking himself when Anne would see the letter.

Little to his knowledge, the letter was already on its way and would reach Anne by Christmas Eve morning precisely, making the timing all that worthy.

*****

A/N:
Hello to all readers, thanks for reading this one! I have arrived in Phoenix and have been wondering to look for the 'Save Anne With An E' billboard if it's still there. Nevermind that, I was crying while rereading the letter! Haha, I'm so proud of myself, especially coming up with something that heartfelt. Well, thanks again for reading, and see you soon!
-Z

P. S - follow my AWAE fan account on Twitter if you like, my username is @gayplumpuffs!