The Basket of Mangoes

She opened her eyes on a bright sunny morning. The first thing she could see through the thoughts of her entire mind was the basket filled with juicy mangoes. She could smell them. The taste was already watering her mouth. Wow, finally, today was the day, the day when she was supposed to go to her grandma's place and pick mangoes on the way.

Her grandma's house was a mile away and there was a huge farm she had to cross. There were various fruits in this farm. She like mangoes the most. On other days, her mother would accompany the girl, but today, as her mother was busy packing, she had to go alone.

So, she got ready, picked up her basket and started walking towards her grandma's house.

She looked around and saw, "Wow, what beautiful apples!", she exclaimed, "grandma loves apples, she would be very happy". She picked up the best ones into her basket and she walked along. She then saw strawberries. Then she remembered her friend saying, "Mmm, I love the strawberries from your farm, they are the best I have ever eaten". Although, the girl didn't like strawberries, and she had no plans on visiting her friend in the near future, she picked strawberries thinking that she would like them as her friend liked them.

She walked along and saw oranges. She remembered her mother saying, "How can we ignore the oranges of our farm? They are the fruit through which people know our farm, our oranges are our pride!". The girl picked enough oranges and put them into the basket and walked along. And then she picked grapes thinking about her father, and pears thinking about her sister, and finally she saw mangoes, a tree with ripe juicy fresh mangoes.

It looked like as if the mangoes were waiting for her. She was so happy, she ran to the tree and plucked three mangoes at once. She ran back and looked at her basket. It was almost full. She was confused, she didn't know what to do. She had thought of picking up at least twenty-five mangoes and eating them over the weekend; and if they were not picked today they would get over ripened. She couldn't even plan to come back to pick more mangoes because they were going on a family trip to the river side that day.

She sat down under the tree and she was lost in her deep thought. Finally, she pulled herself back together, threw away few fruits, filled the basket with ten mangoes and carried on to her grandma's place.

Afterword: This is life. We plan something. We want something. We love something. However, people, circumstances, and our environment tends to make us choose against those choices.