3 | Because I Know It Too

"King, updates."
"King's Dinner coupons are available now. Burger King is giving a buy one get one offer on l-"
"Do you want to be kicked out?"
"Do you want a resignation?"
"I'm your senior, Ace King."
"And I have a gun in my pocket."
The banter ended with a stare down that Harry Stone, the superior, lost.

Ace King smirked lightly at the fiery, old man and backed down into his chair. The entire department had pretty much gotten used to Ace's smugness and rudeness yet nobody ever bothered to say anything. He was good at what he did and that's all that mattered. It was Ace's father who established this foundation consisting of intellectuals who could figure things out, that the cops couldn't. Hence, Ace's smugness is something that people respected, not that he was admired.

"The resembles between the two murders are visible even to the naked eye", said Ace, lifting his feet to his table at which Mr Stone, visibly cringed and replied,

"But we'll wait till the forensic report comes. Listen up, everyone! No one reveal anything to the media. Until we have solid news, let's not make Aronville panic and Ace, you'll be leading the case."

While it was the old man's turn to smirk, the entire department intently stared at Ace, who was busy typing away in his phone.

Landon Streatle pushed up his spectacles and whispered something along the lines of, 'even after last time?', But everyone heard him and silently shuddered to themselves.

The flashing and crashing of the media was irritating Ace, for a while then. Being new at the department, he did have a lot of chores to do around, which was a headache of its own and he did not need the uncountable cameras and screams bashing him in the head.

At the sound of the opening door, he was the first to look up.
"Mr Stone!"
"What?"
"When will they go away?"
"The flies? Oh, I put that spray somewhere here, maybe near the corners...or th-"
"The Media. I am talking about the media", interrupted Ace, waving his hands around to shoo away the flies, which he just happened to notice.

" Ah, Media? They will go away, by the end of this week, I think? Isn't it Streatle? "
"But, the noise? Aren't you all getting irritated? We're always doing some important work here that requires peace and quiet."
"All year, all we do is kill these flies", said Landon, pushing up his spectacles.
"But, for now we have work! We need the silence! Can you guys even hear me over all this?!"