| 12 |

▬▬ twelve; the white lie

⋆.。.:* ☆:**:.

HE WAS KILLING HIMSELF AND HE PUSHED HIS KIND SIDE SO DEEP INTO THE SHADOWS. Every time he saw her at dinner his heart broke a little bit more and he couldn't understand why he felt like this. Did it break him so much to know that one girl didn't want him? Because it was obvious to him now, she took distance from him. Just like he had avoided her because his father had forced him to do last year. What punched his heart, even more, was that he couldn't understand why she was doing it.

Being the teenage boy he was, he didn't dare to confront her. He took her avoidance as a sign that she didn't want him around, so he respected that even though he wasn't okay with it. Lauren was always on his mind, but she was still so far away from him. If they had still met at nights, as best friends or something else it didn't matter, if he had just been able to talk to her he would've never even considered joining the Inquisitorial Squad, even though it offered extra credit. But now he was willing to do whatever it took to get close to Lauren and her friends, he had to know what he had done wrong.

And the following weeks as Christmas came knocking on the door, Draco and his friends spent half of their free periods helping Mr. Filch figure out whatever Harry Potter and his crew had going on.

In the meantime, the DA used all their free periods and weekends and at some point even night to practice spells and learn more about how to use a wand, how to direct a spell, etc. Lauren had still not even touched her wand except for when Harry looked her way and she pretended to practice Stupefy. She got away with it most of the time, partly because Harry didn't want to push her by confronting her.

"So that's it for this lesson," Harry said as everyone gathered in a half-moon. The Golden Four stood on the stairs in front of the door. "Now, we' re not gonna be meeting again until after the holidays. So just keep practicing on your own as best you can. And well done, everyone. Great, great work."

Hermione and Ron exited with the others while Harry excused himself from the crowd that was about to leave. The brunette stood by the mirror beside the Christmas tree in the corner. By the time they had been in here which now was months, she had adjusted to the thought of not having Cedric there in person. The moving photograph was put up beside the picture of the ordinal Order of the phoenix.

She smiled at him and pushed the sadness of a Christmas without him just for a moment. However, when she noticed that Harry and Cho were the only ones left she decided to sneak out. They stood under the mistletoe and Lauren did not want to either interrupt or see it.

Once out in the hallway, the door behind her disappeared. Her light footsteps echoed through the tall hallways as she walked slowly through the castle, she figured a walk wouldn't hurt when dinner was one hour away.

"Nowhere to hide now, I suppose. This will be awkward." She turned around from the window she had been looking out from and felt her confidence crumble down by the sight of him. He sounded so bitter that she wasn't sure he wanted to see her, but she couldn't blame him.