| 20 |

▬▬ twenty; the visit

⋆.。.:* ☆:**:. 

[ 4 months later. . . ]

"LAUREN, YOU HAVE A VISITOR," THE NURSE ANNOUNCED AS SHE OPENED THE DOOR. Lauren looked up with curious eyes, she hadn't had a visitor since ever. She sat up in the same old bed and fixed her hair with her fingertips.

"Who is it?"

The woman sent her a smile and then opened the door wider. From behind the lady in a white, a man in a long coat stepped in. She recognized him right away, he looked just the same. But she couldn't say she was filled with excitement to see the man who put her here step inside.

"I'll be by my desk if you need me," the nurse said before stepping out and closing the door behind her. 

All these months Lauren had been isolated in this tiny room she couldn't help but find someone to blame, and she had. Maybe he did want to protect her, that's what a Godfather is for, but this hadn't protected her. These black walls had slowly been tearing on her joyful soul, for every day she had become a little greyer.

When he noticed her face falling at the sight of him he sighed and took off his hat. "I assume you have all the rights to be angry at me." The girl looked out the window and avoided his gaze. 

Instead of pushing her to talk, Albus Dumbledore spoke, "I've been here once before. Many, many years ago. I met a young wizard, more like you than any of us would like. . . If I knew back then who he was to become, and what he'd do, I would've never hesitated to lock him away."

Lauren caught on to what he was saying, and she turned around and looked up at him. "Why did you place me here? This loneliness is killing me."

He exhaled and sat down on the chair by the desk. "Lauren, I thought-- I think that by keeping you here I can prevent you from going down the same road as he did. If I let you walk around with no safe place and a constant frustration to find out the truth about your life. . . He'd fetch you within a second and then there's nothing that could save you."

"You're my Godfather," she stated. "You've known this whole time. . . Cedric wasn't even my brother." He saw how she so desperately tried to keep the tears behind her eyelids but he heard how her voice couldn't bear to hold.

"Blood doesn't define love. He's your brother, and will always be. Mr and Mrs Diggory always loved you as their own--"

"No, they didn't. I should've caught on. I was never like them."

"Listen to me, Lauren. Dark times lay ahead of us and we have to be strong. We have to pick a side and we have to stand tall, and no matter what we cannot give up. What do you choose, Lauren?"

She closed her mouth and looked down at her shaking hands, she couldn't control her nerves. She was always nervous, even if she was perfectly calm and alone. She hesitated to answer, but not because she wasn't sure. Lauren knew that no matter what, she would never ever stand by her father's side. But she hesitated to answer, because why would he ever believe that she could betray them like that?

"You should leave now," she said quietly.

He ignored her words and said, "you're friends miss you. You should know they want to visit."

"Then why don't they?" She snapped. He didn't change a muscle in his face, she didn't scare him. 

"Because they're afraid." He remained calm and peaceful while he broke her heart a little more. Sure, she was already prepared for it, she already knew it. But nothing could make that fact hurt less.

"What happened at the Ministry that night? That night he returned?"

Dumbledore looked down and then up at her again. "After our duel, Voldemort put Harry under a spell, he threatened him, and then he looked at you. Your eyes shone green and you raised your wand. . . You hit Harry with a light curse and then you tried to kill him."

Her mouth remained a straight line while her eyebrows furrowed and a tear rolled down her pale cheek. She looked ashamed down at her lap. "I didn't--"

"I know. And so does Harry. But if Voldemort can get to you so easily, it doesn't matter what you mean, you will still be a killer. You're safe here, Lauren. And everyone you love is safer when you're here."

When Dumbledore got up to leave she stood up and made him turn around before he could open the door. "I'll stay here, as long as I need to, but can you do me a favour?"

He smiled, "anything, Lauren."

"When school starts again, promise me you look out for Draco. I have a bad feeling that the wrong people will try and use his vulnerability to their advantage."

"I'll keep an eye on him."

And just by a simple act, she was completely empty. The door closed behind him as he walked away and Lauren was officially numb. No fear, no questions, no regrets. She felt tired but at the same time so restless. She felt alone surrounded by a crowded world. She was in between two sides of a war.

It had been happening for years, since the day she was born. She had been cursed, and she only realized now who she had been drowning for years. It's true what they say, you don't see the light until the end.

▬▬ author's note ▬▬
i'm not perfectly happy with this ending, but I'll leave it to be. read the next chapter for information about the next book :)

stay safe! stay tuned! take care!