Part | The Pure Folk

Ebony

Authors Note: enjoy

~~~~~~~~~~

"...What?"

She choked. Her eyes disbelieving and her mouth in the shape of an 'O'.

"The ship will set sail in the morning. I am sending five of my most trusted guardsmen and a Nurse to accompany him on his journey. When they arrive, His Grace has assured me that he will be well protected for the rest of his days, you have my word on that my dear."

The coolness of his voice made her tremble.

"But... why? He is only a babe. Three days young, he needs me! he will not survive that journey I promise you. Oh Mother help me, you- you can not do this! I am his mother."

With this, the woman fiercely pressed the swaddled infant protectively against her chest interrupting his sleep and he, in turn, began to wail. To calm him down she turned to sit herself on their sleeping platform which was structured with Old Oak lumber. Their bedding was stuffed with a mound of fresh hay under a water-tight mat made from the fine grasses of a plant similar to carex that grew in abundance around the lagoon.

The woman sat tall and stiff as she guided the nosing baby to her breast, making soft cooing sounds to calm him as much as herself.

"Have a little faith he is Pure after all." The man continued.

ut the arrangements have already been made. Her Grace has had many a difficult pregnancy like this one so it is likely that her child will be a stillborn. The Queen is exhausted and can not produce live children it seems. When the time comes and her child is born, our son will be there to take the child's place as heir. Her milk will be plentiful so our son shall be well provided in that manner and I am sure a babe in arms will comfort her in her grief. He will be well-welcomed."

"A well-welcomed hostage." She pointed out.

"And what of my grief? Me?"

"He will be raised as one of them. We have no other choice." he said indifferently but his powerful eyes softened, "my fair wife, I would not have done this if it were not for the good of our people. Our Folk knew nothing of the boy's birth as was planned and for that I am grateful to you. But... We ourselves will need an heir and you are more than capable to bear me another son. Later of course, to give you time. You may go. Never mention this to anyone."

"Yes, husband."

The woman was aghast and she stood wavering.

For all his authoritative composure and firm expression his intelligent and ancient eyes were dreary.