Three

Thanks @YourNerdIsShowing for the comment, I'd completely forgotten I was gonna put this clip up lol

Anyway, here it is! 

The next few weeks are fun. That's really the only way I can describe them. Jim's funny and generally pretty nice, that is when he's not sulking about something. He picks things up very fast, and is cool to hang around with. I didn't realise it, but I've missed being around people my own age and species.

Most of the time I help with Jim's chores, as John insists on giving him way too much to do. My favourite thing to do is tell him stories from around the galaxy while hanging upside down, which he finds weird.

"That was amazing!" I laugh, straining against one of the landing craft's ropes and tying it off after Jim flew it. "We have to do that again."

"If I could manoeuvre a skip like that when I was your age," John says as we, "they'd be bowin' in the streets when I walked by today!"

"Bowing in the streets!" Morph mimics.

"I dunno," Jim grunts, tying a knot, "they weren't exactly singing my praises when I left home." He flops down, leaning back against the side of the small craft. "But I'm gonna change all that."

"Yeah?" I ask, sitting down beside him.

"Uh," he says, "I got some plans. Gonna make people see me a little different."

"Oh," John sighs, "sometimes plans go astray."

"Not this time." Jim smiles, closing his eyes.

"Mmm," John lifts up his cybernetic leg, loosening a nut with a spanner duly provided by Morph.

"So, ah, how'd that happen, anyway?" Jim asks, gesturing to the leg.

"You give up a few things chasin' a dream." John says sadly.

"Was it worth it?"

"I'm hopin' it is, Jimbo." The cook gets up and sits down in the space between us, his real arm around Jim and the cybernetic one around me.

Suddenly, the ship rocks violently. I jump up, grabbing onto a rope and jumping out of the skip. We all run up to the main deck, where everyone is doing the same thing.

"What the devil?" John says, and I curse.

"The star Permusa!" Dr Doppler shouts from above, "It's gone supernova!"

"All hands fasten your lifelines!" Mr Arrow yells, and we rush to comply. Everything is hot and windy, with fiery pieces of star flying around us and burning holes through the sails.

"Secure those sails!" Captain Amelia yells, and Mr Arrow relays the order.

"Come on!" I yell, running out along the yard arm and grabbing a rope. "Help me pull this one!"

Jim grabs it above me and together we pull in the sail. A meteor streaks towards us and I dodge it, but another one hit beside John who falls off the yard arm, only saved by his lifeline and cybernetic arm. I keep pulling at the sail as Jim goes to help him, but we're getting closer to an even larger piece of star.

Just as it's about to hit us, it draws away again, and we can soon see why. We're headed directly for a black hole, and there's nothing we can do to avoid it.

"Oh God," I say faintly, watching the spot in the middle of the swirling fire become ever closer.

"All sails secured!" Mr Arrow yells below.

"Good man!" the Captain shouts back, "now release them immediately!"

"Aye Captain," he says. "You heard her, men! Unfurl those sails!"

"Mr Hawkins!" the Captain calls to Jim, "make sure all lifelines are secured good and tight!"

"Aye aye Captain!" Jim calls back, jumping down from the rigging and running to where the lifelines are tied. John and I get back to unfurling the sails.

Below us, the black hole releases another wave of heat and light, jolting the ship. John falls down onto the deck, but I'm not so lucky. Both me and Mr Arrow are flung out into space, nothing but our lifelines keeping us tethered to the ship. My rope jerks painfully tight around my waist, and I start pulling myself in until I'm close enough to grab the outside of the ship.

I press my face against the wood, clinging onto the railing with both arms. Suddenly, I feel my lifeline go slack. I can hear someone yelling, but I don't let go of the ship and keep my face pressed into the wood.

"Captain!" Dr Doppler yells, "The last wave! Here it comes!"

"Hold onto your lifelines, gents!" she shouts, "It's going to be a bumpy ride!"

It's getting colder and darker and harder to hold on, and I guess that we're going into the black hole. My hands are slippery with sweat, and I pray that I'll be able to hold on long enough. I don't dare try to pull myself back onto the ship.

Then everything is heat and light and roaring sound, and we're riding the wave out of the dark abyss and back to safety. The heat is getting less, and I finally open my eyes to see that we're back in open space, where we're safe. My arms are turning to jelly, but even if I wanted to let go I couldn't. There's cheering on board, and I think I can just make out some of the crew's heads and raised arms.

"Well," says Captain Amelia's voice, "I must congratulate you Mr Silver. Your cabin boy did a bang-up job with those lifelines! All hands accounted for, Mr Arrow?"

Silence.

"Mr Arrow?"

"I'm afraid Mr Arrow has been lost." I can't see the deck, but Scroop's voice is unmistakable. "His lifeline was not secured. I'm afraid that (Y/N)'s too, has come lose."

"No, I checked them all!" Jim shouts, then there's footsteps. "I... I did! I checked them all. They were secure, I swear!"

"I'm here!" I yell as loudly as I can. "I'm alive, I'm just hanging off the side!"

"(Y/N)?"

"Jim! Someone help me, I can't get up!" There's more footsteps, then Jim's face appears over the side of the ship. He grabs my arms, pulling me up over the side and onto the deck. I steady myself against him, my legs feeling like jelly. He wraps his arms around me, holding me against his chest.

"Oh God," he whispers, "you're ok."

"I'm ok, I'm ok." My voice shakes, and I try to take deep breaths but I'm still shaking and there's a lump in my throat and before I can do anything about it, I'm crying. Jim doesn't say anything, just strokes my hair and keeps holding me.

"Mr Arrow..." Captain Amelia coughs, then continues, "Mr Arrow was a fine spacer. Finer than most of us could ever hope to be. But he knew the risks, as do we all. Resume your posts, we carry on."

After a few more seconds I pull myself together and disentangle myself from Jim's embrace, wiping my face one my sleeves. I glance quickly around the ship, where all the crew are rushing back to their positions.

"Are you...?"

"I'm fine," I sniff, offering him a smile. He nods, and there's an awkward pause before I say, "I should really get back to..."

"Yeah," he nods, clearly grateful for a w way out of the situation. "I should go to."

"See you later, I guess."

"Yeah." 

Ugh... you're never going to comprehend how painful this was to write for my poor astrophysicist brain. RIP the actual lifecycle of stars and every piece of blackhole theory ever, you shall be missed. 

Also I know it's moving fast, and it's not perfect by any means, but like... there's not all much I can actually write without altering the story too much, and I want to push things along. I already have this story all written out on a word document so I'm literally just uploading it now, but I always meant for it to relatively short. Anyway, hope you're enjoying it!