Twenty-four

McKenna

After I closed the door behind Phoebe as she exited the door, I walked over to my brother. He was laying on the couch, he was already making himself at home.

"Do you think mom would be happy seeing you here when you haven't called in months?" I asked Adam.

Adam looked up at me. "I've called recently."

"If you think September is recent, you're a dumbass. It's Febuary."

Adam sat up and patted the cuson, indicating that he wanted me to sit next to him. I sighed and sat next to him.

I looked into his eyes. "I've missed you. A lot of things have happen since you've been gone. Mom's drinking has gotten worse."

Adam nodded. "I've missed you too, Mickey. And we both knew it was going to get worse. I wish she would of listen to us in June and gotten help. But no, she thinks she can deal with it by herself."

I sighed once again. "The only good thing that has happened these few months was meeting Phoebe."

Adam put his arm around me, and I put my head on his shoulder. "She seems very nice."

I smiled. "Yes, and she's my girlfriend."

Adam unwrapped his arm off of McKenna and gave her a stern look. "What happen to Daisy?" He asked.

I shifted awkwardly on the couch. "She cheated on me more than, I don't know, a million times."

Adam seemed worried. "Well now you have Phoebe."

I nodded. Even though we had our hard times, we made it through. Yes, I was a dramatic person, but I just wanted to make sure she really was into me.

I changed the topic. "Have you read the Fault in our Stars?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Nope, the book's for girls."

I rolled my eyes. "No. It was actually re-" But before I could finish, I heard a loud knock on the front door.

I got up from the couch and opened the door. I was expecting my mom, but it was Phoebe. She was crying and she looked like a mess.

"Can I come in?" She asked in a sad tone.

I nodded and she made her way to the couch. I followed right behind her.