Chapter 2 Part 2

"Have a seat, please. The Evaluators will be with you in a moment," she walks away with her eyes planted in my file.

She knows.

I sit down and try to pace my breathing. I try my hardest not to think deeply or with great purpose.

No day dreaming.

I try to calm myself down. Olga, it's okay, they're here to help you. You are not your sister.

"Ms. McCormick. The Evaluators will see you now."

This is it. Other people's lives are now in your hands.

I follow her into a small room. It's just enough to fit five people. There is one long table and four clip boards, for the evaluators, and one small chair with a glass of water beside it. I sit down and try not tap my foot. I can't tell what they're thinking. One wears thick glasses and her hair is gray and white. Another looks very young, probably in his early 20s, his face shows no mercy. The third has a sweet disposition, she gives me a warm smile, showing lipstick on here teeth. The last sits at the very front. He must be the head evaluator. His white lab coat shows that he's a certified doctor. I try to stop trembling.

"Hello, Ms. McCormick, we'll be your evaluators today." Surprisingly, the friendly one speaks. "Now before I start I'd like to give you some tips on how to answer. First, speak clearly-"

I tune her out as she recites the rules of Evaluation. I don't need to hear them again. I try not to day dream as I look around at the faces, each tell a story. They didn't want this. None of them.

"Are you ready to start," She says, looking down at my forms.

"Y-Yes," I say weakly then clear my throat, trying to shake the fright in my voice, "Yes, ma'am."

I take one last deep breath.

This is it.