Chapter 1 Part 3

"Okay," she smiles, "Good luck on your evaluation, dear". My hands start to tremble as she hugs me, "Th-Thank you, Aunt Carol." She kisses my forehead, "Nothing to be worried about, Olga. Be truthful, answer fully, be fluent." She recited the three rules of the Evaluation. Those words have be said to me about 100 times since Friday. Aunt Carol is very independent, but I can see the worry in her eyes today.

She knows what this means. She tells me so much with her eyes. We need this. I nod and stiffly walk in. School, it's funny how my one escape has now become my only option. "Options are slim in the real world. We choose for you". I close my eyes briefly, thinking of not being in control of anything. My mother told me something right before she died.

"No matter what happens, Olga, you're always in control. As long as you still have your heart, He will take care of you."

I never knew what she meant by 'He'. I guess I never will. "AUGGIE!! Hey, over here"!!

I hear a raspy voice from behind say. "Shh!! Diane!! The evaluators are here today!" She stops for a minute, catching her breath. "Sorry, I'm anxious." A pitiful sigh escapes my lips. "You have no idea".

Diane has been my best friend since kindergarden. Know one has ever knew me like her and Basil. She was there through it all and still stayed. Diane always had a kind heart, but most saw her cold, rough exterior. A priss is what most people thought. She had it all, brains, beauty, money.

She hands me a small piece of paper, still panting. "What's this-"

She puts her index finger on my lips, shushing me "Just read".

"Growing apart doesn't change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I'm glad for that."

I looked around and quickly shoved the paper in my pocket. "Diane, are you trying to get us in trouble by the Regulators? What is this crap? Where did you get?"

She looks down gloomily, "You don't like it? I thought you'd like it."

I sigh, "I love it. It's just you know this isn't permitted. Words like these, in such an order. This paper is screaming infected."

"I'll tell you later," she smiles and begins to walk into the building, her long red hair flowing in the wind. I follow behind her.

As we get to the door she stops and turns around, hugging me. "Good luck, Auggie." I smile, the kind I can only do around her, a real smile.

"Good luck, Ane."