The Bus 🚍

FכM FUL Fכ GEN WISDכM.
( Feign ignorance to gain wisdom.)

"What kind of question is that? "Isha asked turning away

Isha asked turning away.

"Aunty but..."

"Grab your bags and continue moving. I don't have time to answer stupid questions. " She said in a pissed off tone.

Alisha turned around, holding her bags tightly to herself and walked towards the bus park. She wondered what she had done to make her Aunty angry. Sometimes she didn't understand adults or elderly people. They always seemed to be hiding something from people younger than they were.

After all, what did old people know that  she doesn't know?
She thought.

To her, she knew everything they knew. She knew about sex, she also knew about having boyfriends. Something she could never discuss with her mother. Instead she kept those thoughts inside of her. She wondered how it felt to have a boyfriend, how it felt to have sex and lastly how it felt to be free from parents.

"We are here Alisha."  Her Aunty stopped her from going past the bus stop.  "What are you thinking about madam? " Isha asked raising an eyebrow at her.

"Nothing Aunty." but it was something, infact it was so many things.

On the other hand Isha stood chastising Alisha whereas her mind was running a hundred miles per second. The question her niece asked her was making her feel uncomfortable. She felt uncomfortable maybe because of the truth or maybe because the truth was wrong no matter how she thought of it.

In many cultures in her country, cohabitation was seen as totally wrong. You never lived with a man unless you had taken him unto your family and he had also paid your bride price. People who went on cohabiting with their partners; in other words living together without being legally bonded did so in secret.

Isha also did hers in secret. It was always secret, everything wrong was always done in secret. She lived with another man after divorcing her former and first husband. All this, no one in the village knew about. Having a divorce wasn't a good social status either. Marriages were meant to hold in all situations until the day that death actually did the couples apart.

She had broken the first rule all her relatives thought was a 'must' to be a successful  woman. Now she was committing another atrocity by living with someone who wasn't her husband and younger than her. But as they say,

"BLAK GOT HAT Fכ FεN NA NεT."
(A black goat is hard to find at night.)

Alisha grab her aunt's luggage from her hand and loaded them unto the bus that they were to take to Freetown. "Lily I will sit at the front while you will sit at the back. You hear? "
Her Aunty hollered at her from the back of the bus.

"Yes ma."

"Okay. I will go and pay our transport fare now."

Go and find  a sit inside.

Alisha obediently got into the bus and choose a seat at the back. The bus was almost half empty so she could choose to sit where ever she wanted. Soon enough all the passengers got into the bus and their driver drove off after an old woman offered a word of prayer.

The scenery changed from the small and crooked houses in the village to tall, beautiful trees that
Were evergreen. No tree ever shed their leaves in sierraleone as there was never winter season. The seasons we're just two;dry and wet seasons and that was all they needed to survive. Alisha smiled as the wind whipped her in the face. Her plaits flew in different directions and she enjoyed the beautiful feeling of the wind rushing in her face.  

The trees they passed were in blur as a result of the fast speed at which they were going.

"Driver tek am ezy. " A chubby woman complained in the bus as she tried to convince the driver to move more slowly. Alisha didn't mind at all, she was in fact enjoying the speed at which they were going.

Alisha thought deep inside her that she could stare outside forever without getting bored. But forever as everyone knows is a really long time. Soon they got stuck in traffic under the hot and humid weather and all her attention on outside world dissolved slowly. Alisha could feel her clothes sticking to her body with sweat. As much as she hated the heat, she was vulnerable to it.

It was an everyday  life when living in a country as hot as Sierraleone, which also didn't have cool weathers often. But it was just more unbearable, sweating in a bus with different people that were so close to you that it made you feel jam package like the fishes in a sardine can.

After fanning herself with her hands for minutes and sweating so much that she thought she was going to pass out, Alisha decided to stay still until the traffic was over. Which was going to be in the next later or sooner.

As Alisha looked out the window, wondering when the bus was going to be able to move again, a head dropped on her shoulder beside her. She was a little bit shocked at the action initially, but she turned to her side to see who or what was laying it's head on her shoulder.

She tilted her head to a side in other to see the face of her culprit. She was very suprise to see something other than what she expected. Her mouth opened wide at the gorgeous work of art carefully craft that lay asleep  next to her.

********************************

Hey my loves 😘💋❤

Sierraleone is such an intresting country.

It small but mighty. 😄

Thank you so much for reading my loves,

Who or what do you think she saw on her shoulder?

Please don't forget to vote,  and comment your thoughts.

kisses 💋💋💋💋💋💋