Chapter 30

CHAPTER THIRTY

Their journey so far had taken place over relatively flat terrain, an open valley allowing them to continue on foot in safety. However, as Zalea and Jack turned the long winding bend in the river, the flat sandy earth beneath their feet began to change as they faced a multitude of jutting rocks coming at them from every angle. 

The two stood staring in silence at what lay ahead. 

"It is impossible to pass," whispered Zalea, gripping Jack's hand tightly. 

"You're right," he said looking around. "But there is one way through," he said, pointing to the river beside them. "We shall have to travel by water." 

"But we cannot swim for such a length of time. We'll drown." 

Jack shook his head and released his grip on her hand, "We can build a raft," he said turning back from where they had come. "We passed some trees a little earlier and these reeds will do to bind them together." 

Zalea shrugged her shoulders helplessly, "I guess it's our only option."

Several hours later, Jack stood wiping the sweat from his brow, "I'm so glad I kept this dagger tied to my trousers," he said as he held Gwynethea's sharp bejewelled dagger out in front of him, a number of long pieces of wood laying out before them. "It would have taken twice as long to cut these trees down without it," he smiled. 

Zalea sat to his side, stripping the reeds apart and producing long strong pieces that would act perfectly to tie their makeshift raft together. 

"We shall sleep here tonight and then set off when we wake in the morning," he said, finally sitting beside her to take a long well deserved break. 

"You have worked hard today, Jack. I just wish I could serve you something delicious to nourish you," said Zalea. 

Smiling back at her, he shook his head. "We'll be fine, Zalea. We'll find food tomorrow. But for now, let's get some rest. Here, lie beside me, I'll keep you warm."

Neither of them slept particularly well that night. Without the soft cotton blanket that had been stowed in their lost belongings, they shivered as they curled up together beneath the dark night sky.  

As the day approached and the sky lightened before their very eyes, they prepared to set off through the dangerous deluge of rocky outcrops all around them. 

Travelling on the water was their only safe passage through.  

Once the raft was strong and bound tightly enough to take their weight, the duo climbed aboard as Jack pushed them away from the river's edge towards the centre. Their makeshift paddles enabled them both to push themselves through the gently flowing water as they watched the unusual shapes carved into the precarious rocks around them. 

"Nick would have enjoyed this," said Jack quietly. "He would have been in his element making a raft like this." 

"Yes, but I do believe his would have been a bit more impressive," laughed Zalea. 

Feigning hurt, Jack laughed and nodded. 

"Hopefully this will take us to the Nephilim quicker than on foot, perhaps we should have thought of it sooner." 

"I'm not sure I would have been comfortable before. I would have been frightened of Dacius and her troublesome sister," replied Zalea, looking down into the murky depths below. "At least now we know she has what she wanted all along." 

"Hm," replied Jack, "I hope he's okay." 

After a few hours of paddling through the water, Zalea suddenly pointed to something tall in the distance. "It's a Meliam tree. It bears the most delicious and nourishing fruit. If we can get over there and climb up those rocks, they would keep us fed for days," she exclaimed. 

They continued in a straight line for a hundred metres or so, before they paddled to the riverside. Jack climbed off the raft first and held out his hand to help Zalea ease herself onto dry land. 

Using a spare piece of the reed rope, he tied the raft securely around a long spiky rock that stuck out of the ground. 

"We just need to climb up there," Zalea said, pointing to a rather dangerous collection of jagged rocks. 

"Easier said than done," answered Jack as they tried to work out their best way upwards, "Wait a minute, Zalea. Can't you fly?" 

She looked at him strangely before erupting into a fit of giggles, "Fly?" she said. "What makes you think I can fly?" 

Looking a little embarrassed, he pointed to her wings. 

"Oh," she chuckled and shook her head. "Only the Menukian faeries can fly, Jack," she said matter of factly. 

"Then why have wings?" he asked sheepishly. 

"Thousands and thousands of years ago, my ancestors were able to fly. Their wings were three times the size of mine but over the years the wings of my people have gotten smaller and smaller. We believe nature intends us to eventually have no wings at all." 

"Evolution," he replied. 

"I'm sorry?" 

"It's an evolutionary process. Like me... my ancestors are believed to have looked more like apes..." 

Zalea's eyes appeared wide and a look of complete confusion clouded them. 

Jack laughed and shook his head, "Never mind, let's focus on the task in hand.... climbing up to that ridge." 

Neither had much experience in climbing. Nick had made it look so easy but they just weren't getting anywhere. And the more they tried, the hungrier they became. 

"Let's take a break and have a drink," suggested Jack as he bent over with his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath. 

"I'm sorry, Jack, I'm sorry that I can't fly." 

He shook his head and smiled at her, "I should be saying the same thing. After all, many of my ancestors were able to fly too... and some of my current family members. I wish I shared the gene to change. Imagine if I could become a raven, I could have just flown straight to those mountains." 

"No, you couldn't have," scolded Zalea. "Then I wouldn't have been able to join you." 

"I know, I wouldn't have left you behind. But if I could change, I could at least fly up there and knock some of that fruit down." 

"Are you absolutely sure you don't have the gene, Jack?" 

"I'm pretty sure. If the transformation doesn't happen by the time you're twenty then it usually means it's not going to." 

"But did you ever try?" 

He raised his eyebrows and squinted his eyes for a moment. "Honestly, I don't think I did after I turned twenty. I didn't feel the need to go off cavorting as a raven. I was so happy with my family life, that nothing else mattered," he said. 

"So there could still be a chance?" she exclaimed but he shook his head. 

"No, if there was ever a time I could have changed then I would have done so whilst I was being kept prisoner by Vivian." 

Zalea stood in front of him and smiled, "But Jack, you were under her spell. She would have prevented you from doing any kind of magic." 

"Possibly, but how about while I was with the Nephilim?" 

Again she smiled, "Your memories were taken from you whilst you were there. You wouldn't have even known you were from a family of ravens, Jack. Don't you see? If you are ever going to find out if you can change, it's now. When you're desperate and hungry and... free from any evil preventing you." 

Jack's shoulders dropped backwards, making him stand up straight, he lifted his head and smiled, "You're very good at this, Zalea. You're making me want to give it a go." 

"Then do it, Jack, try to make the change. If it doesn't happen now, then at least you can rest assured it never will. At least try... just look up there at that juicy fruit." 

He peered upwards and his mouth began to water. Closing his eyes, he began to concentrate, thinking of nothing but his family and his raven ancestors.