Chapter 25

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

As December came to, she felt groggy. Her head wasn't quite as clear as it should be as she recollected the odd dream she'd had during the night. 

She'd dreamed of a lone stranger trapped in a strange place where the atmosphere around him maintained an orange glow. He'd been talking to her, telling her about jewellery. No, that's not right, she thought. He'd been telling her about the place where he'd found himself. Everywhere he looked there were shiny stones glinting in the dusky light. Valuable stones. Valuable jewels. 

Suddenly, December sat bolt upright in bed. It hadn't been a dream at all, it was Jack. Lilly's father had tried to communicate with her but, because she'd been asleep, he'd come to her in a dream instead. 

He was trying to tell her something. 

Bounding out of bed, she grabbed her purple nightgown and threw it on while she pulled her bedroom door wide open so fast that it banged hard against the wall. 

Halfway down the stairs, she realised she was only wearing one slipper, so she turned back, running upstairs two at a time until she was lying flat on her front on the bedroom floor, looking for the missing shoe under the bed. 

"There you are," she muttered to herself, grabbing it and putting it on her cold foot before hot footing out of her room once again, only to run slap bang right into Lilly on the stairs. 

"Lilly, what on earth are you doing here? It's barely even seven 'o' clock in the morning!" she exclaimed, startled. 

"Yeah, yeah, I know, I know... I've been up all night reading about the Nephilim and I think I might be on to something..." 

"You're insane, you know that? You know what though? I really need a cup of tea... is Mom downstairs?" 

"Yeah, she let me in." 

"Okay, let me wake up first and then we can talk," yawned December, pulling her night gown tightly around herself, forgetting why she was in such a hurry in the first place. 

"...and then I found another website that said pretty much the same thing, well, the same theory anyway..." 

December yawned once more and rubbed her eyes before taking a long gulp of her hot English tea. Both she and her mother were sitting quietly, eagerly waiting for Lilly to finally get to the point. 

Before Lilly could continue though, Ruby appeared out of the living room wall with a huge smile on her face, "Well hello, darling. It's lovely to see you here so bright and early. How is everything with you and your family?" 

"Erm, hi Ruby. They're great thanks..." 

"Mother, Lilly was just about to tell us something important, if you don't mind?" 

"Well, sorry. Please go on, Lilly," she said, hovering around the room, clearly feeling a bit put out. 

"Oh, yeah, the theory. Well, I then went on to find a load of other websites which claimed the Nephilim do live in caves..." 

"Well, we already came to that conclusion, like ages ago," interrupted December. 

"I haven't finished yet," said Lilly, before continuing, "They do live in caves beneath us." 

"What do you mean beneath us?" 

"Beneath the earth." 

"What, this earth?" 

Lilly rolled her eyes as she looked at her best friend, "Do you know of any other earth?" 

Ruby chuckled.