60: Explanations

Helios watched the trio leave apprehensively. A glance out the window revealed clouds on the horizon. It would seem there would be a rainshower soon. He hoped Mokuba's little group did not get drenched before finding the Regent.

"Kaiba said you knew we were gods," Yugi said softly. "Is that true?"

Helios sat on the windowsill absorbing the sun's energy while it could still shine. "Yes," he said. "It is. I'm honestly surprised none of you were aware."

"How're we supposed t' know?" Jounouchi said, crossing his arms and leaning back against the wall. "No one told us n' we don' feel any different."

"He's right," Marik said moving to sit in the corner. "If anyone would've figured it out first, it would've been my sister. But..."

"She didn't," Ryou said, sitting next to Marik. "None of us want to die," he said quickly, "we just... don't want to be immortal either."

Helios shook his head. "You are truly a peculiar group. I have never met anyone so reluctant to accept immortality. Most humans I've met would jump at the chance."

"My sista's not part o' the Court," Jounouchi said softly. "Neither are my parent's. I'll out live 'em." He bowed his head and tightened his crossed arms. "Serenity."

"Is that your sister's name?" Helios asked. "Serenity?"

Jounouchi turned his head away. "Yeah. I got a Japanese name and she got a Western name."

Helios smiled gently. "My sister's name is Selene," he said. "She is my life."

Jounouchi looked up at him through his blonde bangs. "Yeah?"

"Yes," the Titan replied nodding.

"What's she look like?"

Helios gazed out the window and answered. "She's taller than me, but not by much. She has silver white hair that's so long it brushes the ground even when she ties it up. Her eyes are silver gray and she has a gentle heart. She fell in love with a human but gave him immortality and refused to consecrate their love to prevent the same fate of Eos's lover befalling him."

Jounouchi listened quietly. "You miss her," he said after a few seconds.

"I do," Helios said. "Greatly. But I know she is safe."

"How?"

Helios grinned. "Because the moon is rising," he said nodding to the small silver orb hanging in the sky. "We are thought to guide the moon and the sun through the sky so they don't loose their course but that's not necessarily true. They are locked in their own dance, moving on their own. We are actually their personifications. We aren't the only ones, but we're part of the few left alive in this day and age. The Greek pantheon is popular enough that we still have worshipers, however few they may be."

"What do worshipers have to do with it?" Bakura asked stepping back so Yugi could sit down in the chair by the window and Yami could settle on the armrest.

"Our pantheon is one of the few that requires worshipers to continue existing," Helios said. "It's why there are so few of us left and why Zeus is hesitant to start an inter-pantheon war."

"I see," Yami murmured. "You aren't as powerful as you once were."

"Nowhere near," Helios said, shaking his head. "Had I still been at the height of my power and joined my fellow Titans in fighting Zeus, we may have defeated him instead of being almost completely wiped out. At least I'd like to think so. But I suppose we'll never know now."

"Do we need worshipers?" Yugi asked looking distinctly uncomfortable. "Because, I'm not sure I like that idea."

"I'd wager you already have them," Helios replied casually.