Prologue I

A/N: so.....here we go again y'all. Yet another rewrite. Please please please let this work...

From the deepest caves high up in the mountains, a pup lay still nuzzling his father's chest. His tiny legs jolted from time to time, his tiny wings shuttering in his sleep. His father looked upon him, his pale carmine eyes gazing at his son's golden pelt, which glowed among his dark ochre fur, tattered with black flecks all over his body and paws.

He pressed the end of his snout against the pup's fragile and squishy body and held it there for as long as he could muster before his neck felt sore. He gazed at the cave entrance, looking around him. 

Mother lay with their sons and daughters in a similar fashion, with the only difference being that he was the only one awake. His ears flicked as he watched the entrance and the world outside it, gazing out into the path that led to the heart of their territory. If anything comes by, he'll be the first to strike and defend this cave and its inhabitants for sure, and he even dared to be the last wolf standing if it comes to it. 

He shut his eyes for a moment, rummaging in this very possibility. His body relaxed but he did not fell into slumber. His wings were tucked right by his side, heaving slowly as he breathed quietly.

He slowly opened his eyes once again, gazing at the pup that snuggled up in his paws, the tiny head buried deep into his chest, whimpering every so often.

Without much thought, he lowered his head, letting the pup rest right beneath the crook of his neck. His chin touched the slate floors of the cave as his ears remained vigilant for any disturbances.

He shifted his body slightly so that his pup would curl up comfortably within the borders of his large body. As he closed his eyes, he thought about the many names that he could give to his child. And as his mind wandered into sleep, breathing against the mattress of grass and fur from the shedding season, one last name seemed to call out to him.

...Ah yes...Sariel..that's what I'll name him...

-

That was how he found my name. At least that's what he told me. The days before that, I have long forgotten, or maybe I never bothered to remember. After I opened my eyes that day, everything seemed to fall into place. I remembered the taste of warm blood that flooded my tongue from the prey my dad had caught on a long hunt. I remembered crying out for him as the mothers of the den tried to calm me down as he hunted. Once I spotted him heaving up the slopes with fresh prey in his jaws, I always ran out to him and yapped at him for taking so long. 

You asked for the beginning, yes? Well, that is how I will always remember mine. A young pup that yapped and cried for his father at day, and snuggled up by his side by night. Though the reason why he chose a noble name for me...that I do not know. And I probably never will.