Tree Falling Pt.3

Will frowned. It was late. He could tell by the light coming in through his window and the sounds coming from outside the cabin.

For the first few days, Will hadn't questioned why Halt had let him sleep in so much. He knew the answer would be the same three words his mentor said whenever he asked if he could practice with his bow.

"You need rest," Halt had continuously insisted.

But now it was the fourth day since the accident, and Will couldn't help but be suspicious of how generous Halt was being with Will's sleep schedule.

Will took a deep breath, sitting up slowly. He was careful not to move too quickly, remembering when he had done so the first morning after he had fallen from the tree. The movement had sent his head spinning, and before he knew it, he found himself on the floor.

Thankfully, today was not a repeat of that disaster.

Stretching as he stood, Will pulled on a new pair of clothes for the day, disregarding his sleep shirt and trousers on the bed, neatly folded next to his blanket. He made his way into the kitchen, subconsciously rubbing his stomach as he caught the scent of sizzling bacon and freshly brewed coffee.

"Morning Halt," Will said casually as he rounded into the kitchen. Halt was standing over the bacon, flipping each strip with a pair of metal tongs to make sure it cooked evenly. He looked up at the sound of Will's voice, glancing over the boy once. Will, noticing the action, forced himself to stand straighter and assume an energetic expression.

Halt raised an eyebrow as Will scooted a chair back and sat down, propping his legs on the table. It was an action that Halt himself had done often. It seemed that Will had adopted more than one  behavior from the older Ranger.

"Good morning, Will," Halt finally replied, switching several pieces of bacon onto a plate and handing it to Will. The apprentice licked his lips as he took note of the eggs and lightly buttered toast on the plate as well. His face broke into a full grin as Halt sat a steaming cup of coffee before him.

"Gee, Halt," Will said absently as he eyed the breakfast. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were beginning to spoil me!"

Will turned his eyes to Halt and immediately wished he hadn't said the words. Halt raised an eyebrow in his direction.

"Good thing you do know me, then," Halt replied evenly. "And as such, you know that I'll be piling on the chores come next week. Don't want you to get too lazy and out of shape now."

Normally, Will would have been troubled by the prospect of Halt giving him so much extra work. It seemed that the grizzled Ranger had a true talent for finding unnecessary and yet very reasonable tasks for Will to do.

Today, however, Will was frowning at another phrase that Halt had said.

"Come next week?" he asked, a little taken aback. "It's only Thor's Day. Why wait another three days?"

Halt sat across from him, sticking a piece of bacon in his mouth before he replied.

"You need-" he began to say around his bacon, but Will interrupted.

"Rest, I know," he said, sighing. "But I have been resting, Halt. I've been resting for three days now! Surely I'm alright to do something today? Something besides sit around and do the easy chores? I need to practice my bow and my knives. I need to saddle Tug and take him for a ride. I need to-"

"You need to stop interrupting your mentor," Halt said firmly, giving Will a meaningful look. Instantly, Will's words died in his throat and he dropped his gaze, looking properly reprimanded.

"Sorry Halt," he muttered. Halt nodded.

"At any rate," the older Ranger said after some time, "I would prefer you to continue to rest until that concussion is gone."

"But it is gone!" Will insisted. Halt raised an eyebrow again, crunching another piece of bacon as he did. Will watched with growing confidence as Halt didn't say anything in reply. "It is," he said again.

Finally, Halt leaned back in his chair, spreading his arms in an invitation.

"Could you somehow give me proof of that?"

Will hesitated. He felt as if Halt was trying to trick him. And yet, as he considered his injury, he was sure that he felt no lasting effects of the concussion.

"How should I go about doing that?" he finally asked Halt. The older Ranger seemed to consider the question, which Will thought was pointless. Knowing Halt, the man already had a plan in mind.

"Do a few jumping jacks," he ordered. Will frowned but stood. He began doing the exercise, growing again in his confidence as he felt no effect of his head wound.

"See!" he cried as he finished his tenth jump. Halt seemed unimpressed. Instead, he picked up his fork to begin eating his eggs. Unfortunately, he jarred his elbow on the table and the fork clattered from his hand.

"Oh, blast it," he muttered. He began to stoop down, but Will was already moving to pick up the utensil. He bent, retrieved it, and stood again, meaning to hand it back to Halt.

Instead, he swayed and staggered back several paces, reaching out desperately for something to steady himself with. His hands found the muscled forearm of Halt, who was now on his feet. Grateful for the steady arm, Will clamped on and held tightly. Finally, he regained his footing and lifted a hand to his head, which was now throbbing dully.

"That's what I thought," Halt said in a rather superior tone. His face, however, was etched with concern.

Will shook his head slowly, trying to dispel the lingering effects of his episode.

"I really thought it was getting better," he mumbled, taking a few deep breaths. He allowed Halt to guide him back to his chair and seat him gently.

"I know you did," Halt said, with surprising gentleness. He reclaimed his own seat, sipping his coffee before continuing. "That's why I let you do that. I wanted you to see for yourself that you're not okay. Not yet, anyway. You will be in a few day's time. But it takes just that - time - for you to heal, Will."

Will considered the point, nodding dejectedly.

"Alright, Halt. I get it."

Halt nodded back.

"Good," he replied. "And don't ever forget; I may be old, but I still know a thing or two more than you."