Chapter 6

Betty sat in the back seat, not saying anything. She did however make her presence know by sniffing continually at the smell, and adjusting herself so that she reclined along the seat and then sat and then reclined again.
Logan and I didn't talk either. I did notice that he occasionally smiled at her antics when I did. We hadn't stopped for lunch when we stopped for gas, just drove through an Arby's. It was going on 4:30PM when we drove past another gas station. This one had a diner next door.
I pointed to it saying, "Early Bird Special. Save a couple bucks."
"It's 4:30," Betty said snidely from the back seat.
"Perfect," Lucas says pulling into the right lane to exit.
I put away my yarn, and we went inside. The sign said to seat ourselves, so we walked over to a booth. Betty dropped into a seat scooting over so that Lucas could sit next to her. I sat on the other bench. Lucas stood there at the end of the table awkwardly. He still wasn't looking at me, but didn't want to sit next to Betty. Finally he exhaled and told me to scoot over.
Betty looked aghast, then moved over from against the wall to sit opposite him. It was a weird lunch. No one spoke except when Lucas asked for the salt.
It wasn't much farther to our destination. When we arrived everyone got out of the car and stretched. The Council had a complex that consisted of a campground, a handful of small cabins, and a huge main lodge. We were expected in the lodge so went in. Betty trailed behind.
The lobby had arm chairs and a fireplace. Two of the Council members were waiting for us the chairs in front of the fire.
"So this is her," the female asked. I was pretty sure she was the previous Alpha from the swamps of Louisiana. I think her name was Shasta.
"Yes," I answered even though her question was aimed at Lucas.
"Wait here for a bit. Betty, is it? Hank is waiting for you in the the east room."
Betty stood for a while. She'd been obviously looking forward to my humiliation. Then finally she moved out of the room, leaving her suitcases behind.
Lucas and I sat with the other council member talking about the drive and the weather while Shasta alerted the rest of the council over their pack bond. They were all Alphas so communicating mentally was easy. It was only a few minutes before Shasta led us into the board room. All 12 of the members were present along with Alpha Bruce and Heath. I stood before the table.
"Explain yourself," Bruce commanded. The Council was present, but this was Bruces show. I tell them everything.
Afterwards, Bruce sat with his eyes closed. He pinched the bridge of his nose and breathed out. Before he can speak, one of the council members leaned forward and blurts out, "They're mirroring."
"What's that?" I ask.
"Holy shit!" Lucas says, but not out loud. I hear it in my mind. Now I'm worried.