Chapter 12

"Despair is a thing?" I ask.
"It also an emotion. It became strong enough to be a thing. It's a beast, a monster; more so than any other the humans have dreamed up."
"How do we fight it?" A councilman asks.
"Create a warrior. Dream one up."
"How long does that take?"
"Not long if there are enough of you. You and the other human dreams will have to work together," the old one says.
"Where do we start?" I ask. I'm a person of action, which lately has been a bad thing, but if this can save us it will be worth it. The old one shifts in their chair. Looking at each of us.
"Inspiration. Decide how your warrior should be. Spread the word. Get everyone dreaming together," they say before standing. "That's enough from me. The rest is on you. You know what to do." With that the old one leaves the room. Disappearing from view.
Everyone starts talking with their neighbor. Deciding between them what should be. Finally Bruce steps up. "Let's list traits."
A councilwoman says, "shouldn't we contact the others first. They'll want input on this before following us. We did attack them." All the eyes in the room swivel to me.
"I'll go in person. I don't think my apology with work over the phone."
"I'm going too," Lucas says.
"Don't you have a wife to worry about?" I ask.
"I'll talk to her and her pack tonight and start renegotiations," Bruce says. "Lucas you stay out of it."
"I won't stay out of it. Tonight we talk to them together. I'm sorry Bruce, but I can't keep blindly following you anymore. It's my life," Lucas says finally making a stand.
"Then I guess we're leaving in the morning," I say.
"We'll talk to the other Alpha's and come to a consensus of what the werewolves want. Call when you get to New York and we'll give you the list," a Council woman says.
"Right. Lunch anyone?"
No one had a chance to eat breakfast, and it was early lunch time. I went to the kitchen and arranged an easy lunch with the cooks there. The wolves who work for the council are well paid, and most of them had left their home pack for one reason or another. Working for the council gives them a sense of family that they might be missing. It's a good life for them.
After arranging lunch I went out for a run to clear my head and think about what I'll say to the vampires. I knew a lot about the vampire's politics because of the Species Guard, but I also know that I'll be spending the trip there talking on the phone convincing secretaries to get me in touch with the right people.
Thinking about how to fix this mess gives me something to work on instead of the negative thoughts in my head. I can't afford to let myself get distracted with my self doubt. I have to focus on the future. When all this is over I'll mope on my own for as long as I feel is necessary.