~TWENTY-SIX~

"You are my best friend,
and I love you, and I love you.
Yes, I do."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lily wrapped her coat tighter around her body. It was cold today, though it wasn't much of a change from the temperature lately. All of October so far, it had been cold, and thus she hadn't ventured outside as much as she usually did. Except for that Quidditch game. Lily was starting to wonder why she'd evaded the pitch so much, and she had a sneaking suspicion it had more to do with her avoidance of James Potter than with a stray Bludger. She felt bad about that, especially now that she was figuring out her relatively-new feelings for him, but as she climbed out of a carriage with Bell, Marlene, and Persephone, she brushed those thoughts from her mind. 

"Oy! You louts!"

Marlene was waving wildly at four familiar boys as they hopped out of a carriage of their own and Sirius Black started copying her movements dramatically. James Potter soon joined in as the groups approached each other and Remus shook his head, running his hand along his forehead in mock exasperation. Lily noticed how Persephone made a beeline for him and smiled softly, and then saw how James did the same towards her and blushed. He grinned and ran his hand through his hair as he leaned against Sirius' shoulder, posing suavely.

"Has my presence really got you so flustered you're blushing now, Lilyflower?"

Lily growled and pushed him back, causing him to fall on the ground, and then winced as she offered him a hand up. "Sorry. But also, no, it's the cold."

James seemed surprised that she'd helped him get back up, but he smiled at her nonetheless and tipped an imaginary hat at her. "M'lady?" He offered her his elbow for her to hold and she wrinkled up her nose.

"Not today, James." Again, another flash of surprise went across his gaze, but his smile, now to her wonder, only grew. She supposed it must be the phrasing of her refusal and her use of his first name, even after he called her that nickname. The one that he used in nearly every bad poem he'd written to her, and there were a lot of them. And the one that Lily was finally starting to warm to after all this time. 

Sirius stepped up and took James' arm instead, winking at his friend, and cried, "Tallyho!"

Bell laughed and took Sirius' other arm, offering her free one to Lily, who did take it, and the group assembled as such until Marlene was on Lily's arm, Persephone was on hers and Remus', and Peter took James' other arm. They practically made a wall as they started down the streets of Hogsmeade, tugging at each other and laughing, and quickly disbanded when they couldn't seem to keep in step. Lily saw how Bell and Sirius didn't drop their arms at all, but made no mention of it, only grinned at them for a moment before turning back to the street ahead.

Hogsmeade trips were always a treat, even when it was freezing outside like today. Lily reached into her pocket, but didn't find her gloves there like they usually would be. She searched the other side, looking down, but no cigar there either. Frowning, she just tucked her hands in her pockets instead, but then someone nudged her elbow and she looked up. James was holding out a pair of grey gloves, smiling at her in a way that wasn't flirty or teasing, but genuinely kind.

"Here, borrow mine."

Lily didn't even hesitate. "Thanks." She took the gloves and slipped them on, then when she was sure James wasn't looking, she glanced down at her hands, now much warmer, and grinned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sirius couldn't stop smiling as the group continued down the street. The Three Broomsticks was their first destination for a round of hot butterbeers, they'd decided as a collective before leaving the castle this morning, and so that was where they were making a beeline to. Sirius hardly noticed the cold anymore, though, because of how Bell was still holding his arm, like she belonged there. His hands were tucked in his pockets to ward off the cold, but one of her mittened hands was tucked into the crook of his arm, and he kept glancing at it, then her face, as they walked.