classy, fluff

((this one has a bit of a weird vibe to it, idk. this takes place before they make any real moves but after he comes back from rousseau))

She and Sayid talked, as they did often now.

Her: "You seem like the type of guy... to always put the toilet cover down."

Sayid smiles, "Is that a compliment?"

Her: "Yes."

Sayid: "Well, yes. It's meant to be put down."

She laughs, "Wow. What a man."

Sayid: "They were made to be set down."

Her: "Classy."

Sayid: "You really expect the bare minimum, don't you?"

Her: "Yep."

Sayid: "That's incredibly sad."

"Oh, thanks."

"It's sad that you don't seem to have gotten many good partners."

"Sayid, come on. Your turn, make an assumption."

"That was my assumption. You haven't gotten many good partners."

A short pause before she speaks, "True."

"Why not?"

"What do you mean, 'why not'?"

"You're good at reading people. Why wouldn't you have been with a decent person?"

Another pause, longer this time. Sayid wonders if that was too personal. He's about to apologize when she speaks.

Her: "Because I don't deserve anything more."

Fretting about being undeserving of things was his signature. He wondered what could make her think such things. Maybe he should just ask. The silence seemed unnatural, anyways.

Her: "You... don't think you'll get married."

Sayid didn't get the chance to tell her that of course she deserved good people around her. He didn't get to ask what would make her think otherwise. He was busy telling her that he didn't think of marriage often, but he never assumed it was off the table for him. He didn't mention that it would've been with Nadia.