𝟐. 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐋𝐚𝐝𝐲.

'I heard that you had trust issues, is that true?'

'Yeah...it is.'

'Then what made it so different with him?'

'Well...unlike most people, he trusted me from the jump, when he didn't have to...

...So I trusted him too.'

June, 1987, Los Angeles, Sony Music Headquarter

Sony Music Headquarter.

Imani's slender legs were bouncing up and down, casually looking around the lobby, her arms crossed. Without having any full understanding of how and why, she found herself in the corporate headquarters of Sony Music in Downtown L.A, along with James.

Business men in their large suits and women in their wide colorful shoulder pads where hurriedly walking around, a cup of coffee in one hand and a leather bag in the other. The sound of their shoes clattering the floor as well as their voice speaking over each other's gave Imani's flashbacks of when she just got started in the industry.

Two weeks ago, a few days after the show, Michael gave Imani a phone call so they could schedule a meeting, and they agreed to meet two weeks later.

But that was before Frank asked James to send him some of Imani's songs, and a few days after that, Michael called again. Hastily claiming that the appointment needed to be rescheduled to a closer date.

James turned his head towards Imani, looking at her up and down. She rolled her eyes, already knowing what was gonna come out of his mouth.

He sighed, "I know that you don't care about dress codes...but you could've at least put on a bra Drixie."

James was right, Imani could care less about dress codes. On this hot and sunny day, she had on a pair of oversized ripped blue jeans, classic Nike Cortez and a white cropped tank top, and like James stated, no bra underneath.

Imani shook her head, looking away from him "Whatever, J. It's 1987, if people are still bothered by a woman's choice of clothing then it's their problem." She shrugged, "Not mine."

Although she wasn't gonna say it out loud, Imani's choices of clothing weren't insignificant when it came to important meetings.

At a really young age, she understood the power of clothing, and how much it could influence the way someone would look and approach her.

The purpose of her coming to meetings 'under' or even 'provocatively' dressed, was to create shock value. Like a statement that said 'if you want to have anything to do with me, you'll have to get with everything that comes with it.'