Part 2: Another Morning

"You're being too aggressive with your moves!"

It was a beautiful morning in the Hoenn region. Not a cloud was in sight; which made the sunrise more bright and beautiful as it shone through the trees that guarded the two of them from the rest of the town they stayed in.

Braixen and Sylveon stood on opposing sides of the forest clearing that wasn't too far from the pokémon center they were staying at with their trainer. Both deeply engaged in a sparring session that was offered up the night before. And right now...

"How am I being too aggressive!?" Braixen shouted back, placing her hands on her hips. "It's how I normally battle!"

... things weren't going too well for the two of them.

"That Flamethrower was too strong!" Sylveon gestured to a patch of charred grass. "You're lucky you didn't miss any worse than you did, otherwise you would've caused a fire!"

"Well what am I supposed to do!? Flamethrower is my best move!"

"Play more defensively!"

"How!?"

"I don't know-- I'm not a battling expert!"

Braixen groaned, kicking the grass as she threw her head back. "You're the one who offered to be my sparring partner!"

"I know, I know! Just..." Sylveon paused, placing a feeler under her chin as she pondered what to say next.

"Just what, Sylvy?"

"Ah!" She blinked as an idea came to her. "Let's start small and try to counter my Swift!"

"Isn't that move a bit too widespread to start--!" Braixen yelped as a barrage of stars came hurling at her, causing her to instinctively leap to the side."Hey!"

"That's not countering!"

She grumbled. "That's not fair! You have no idea about the mental preparation it takes to counter a move like Swift!"

"So Swift is a hard move for you?"

"No! It's just--" Braixen yelped as another barrage of stars collided with the ground beside her, causing her to scramble to her feet. "Sylveon!"

"I'm just trying to help!"

Another series of stars were sent Braixen's way, causing her to dart to the side. Though, this time, the barrage seemed to follow her as she ran. "Sylveon! Stop!" She yelled as she sprinted towards the nearest bunch of bushes she could see, leaping into it without a moment of hesitation; ultimately disappointing her sparring partner.

"Braixen!" Sylveon called out, ceasing her attack as she ran over to the rustling bushes. "What was that!?"

"You don't just unexpectedly attack me like that Sylvy!" Braixen poked her head out of the bushes with a pout on her face. "A proper pokémon battle between trainers always requires a brief moment of mental preparation between moves!"

"Oh."

"Yeah." Braixen pushed herself out of the shrubbery, brushing any sort of stray greenery off of herself.

Sylveon helped with brushing off any sort of stubborn twig or leaf that stuck to her fox friend's fur, looking a bit remorseful as she did so. "I'm sorry Braixen, I got a bit excited since I... haven't really battled in a while."

"It's fine... just let me get ready before attacking, okay?"

Sylveon nodded, guiding the bipedal fox out of the corner of the opening she rushed into before returning to her side of the field. Waiting for Braixen to give her the green light to attack once more.