Chapter 5

07.20.09

I slept all day yesterday. I felt so groggy. They took another blood test. Apparently, some nurse have mixed up everyone's blood. They told me not to worry. She's already fired.

I woke up today to the sound of my door opening and to someone singing a happy birthday song. I opened my eyes to see Tobie walking towards my bed, carrying a plate with nothing but candles. As he went closer, I counted it was 19.

If it wasn't for him, I'd have no idea I'm turning a year older today.

I put on my best smile as he finished the song and asked him, "Hey, how did you know?"

He snugged and smiled impishly, "If I tell you, I'd have to kill you."

We both laughed.

"Wait," I broke the laughter, "Where's the cake? It's my birthday and you bring me nothing but candles?" I teased him.

"You just can't wait, can you?," He asked half-smiling. He walked towards my door and opened it.

A young girl about 4 years old went in, holding a cupcake in her hands with the letter 'I'. In her tiny high-pitched voice, she said, "Happy Birthday, Tish!"

Another girl about the same age went in, holding a cupcake with a heart-shaped icing atop it. "It's the day God sent an angel to make Tobie happy."

And another girl about a year younger than the first 2 went in holding a cupcake with a letter 'U'. She could barely say the words but I understood it as, "And Tobie promises to make you happy too."

Tobie smiled and nodded and escorted the girls out of the room. After a few seconds, he went back in. "Happy Birthday, sweet angel."

I managed a smile as I tried to hold my tears back. "Thank you, Tobie," I whispered.

"So..." He said, "Let's grab breakfast."

I thought about it and decided to accept. "I'll be out in a minute."

He went outside as I sat on my bed. There was a bouquet on top of my bedside table. The arrangement was jaw-dropping beautiful. I read the note that hangs on it,

Hello my love,
Sorry I can't spend the day with you. Im stuck, literally STUCK, with my gf's folks for the whole week. We are -- what did she call it? -- bonding. I'm out of the state. I will visit you soon as I get home (and btw, I am dying to). Happy Birthday, Tish. I love you more than anything else.

P.S. I sent Ely the same.

Will love you always,
Gab

Ely and I share the same birthday.

There was a knock on my door, followed by a voice, "Tish, you ready?" I decided to put thoughts about Ely aside.