Chapter One

"All Cats Of RoaringLoins, gather around the Lake for a Clan meeting," Stonestar summoned his Clan. Light blue and sunny yellow streaked the sky and dawn approached. The dark tabby tom stood on a smooth rock, waiting for cats to awake and come out of their warm dens into the cold weather.

Brookekit unsheathed and sheathed his claws, over and over with anticipation as his mother, Ashfall, licked him quickly. She fretted way too much over his appearance to the Clan, sometimes. Redkit and Tawnykit were already at the entrance of the nursery, waiting impatiently for their brother, "Mother, he's fine! Now let's go before its sunhigh!" Tawnykit rushed out, into the clearing with Redkit on her tail.

Brookekit squirmed and escaped the tongue of his mother and dashed out excitedly. All the warriors and apprentices and elders eyes turned to the three, making way for kits. Brookekit looked back, Ashfall looked proud and excited along with Brindleflight. She was newest queen who was expecting kits about one moon in. Stonestar continued broadly, "Our three kits have reached the age of six moons, and by the warrior code we must apprentice them," the leader paused dramatically

"Tawnykit, step forward," he leaped down off the Lion's rock and met the spotted kit in front of the Lake. "From this day forward, you will be known as Tawnypaw," he paused and looked at the others for a moment, "Crystaldawn, you are a hard-working and patient warrior, I trust you to train Tawnypaw into a great warrior someday," he touched noes with the she-cat, bending down a long ways just to reach her stretched-up muzzle.

He then turned to the other spotted kit, and mewed, "Brookekit, step up," the calico cat bounced forward, around the Lake and under Lion's rock, almost unable to contain his excitement. The striped leader began again, "Brookekit, from this day forward, you will be named Brookepaw," he looked at his crowd again, his eyes settled on a broad-shouldered young warrior, "Brackenlight, I give you this apprentice to train into a wonderful warrior," he touched noes with the kit who then padded back with his new mentor.

The leader faced Redkit, his green eyes filled with anticipation and excitement. The leader began once again for the last time, "Redkit, step forward," he walked carefully around the Lake with his dark red tail held high. "Redkit, from moment until you've reached the level of a warrior, you will be known as Redpaw," Stonestar glanced at a tabby, "Leafclaw, you will be mentoring Redpaw to become a great warrior," they touched noes and head into the crowd.

Stonestar dismissed the meeting and went to talk to his mate, Brindleflight. The cats split into small groups as cats congratulated the newest 'paws. Brookepaw turned to Brackenlight, "Can we see the territory?" He chuckled and replied, "Of course, now let's go!" He raced through tunnel. Brookepaw followed him. He entered the hole. The floor was sandy, the walls covered in weeds and ferns and rocks, lined with brambles. When they reached the top, there was even more brambles. He tried not to show his pain as tiny clumps of fur caught on them.

His mentor was waiting at the top patiently. Tall birch trees stood, their leaves like burning fire against the rising sun. Long, dew-covered grass stretched for as long as he could see. Brookepaw stood in awe of the beautiful land. Scents of squirrels and mice reached him and he turned to the golden tomcat beside him who was getting to his paws.

The two were soon racing through the amber forest- that's what Brackenlight told him what he could call it. The leaves of the trees turned that crimson color early in leaf-fall and seem to not fall off for a longer time than usual too. It was a small forest, and beyond that was a stretching land of bounding hill. A rough river divided them and The Clan Of SplashingRivers. His mentor said that eat fish, them called them fish-faces. To the right, The Clan Of WhisperingShadows lay, their territory was filled with lots of large rocks and big hills. On the far side of them, was The Clan Of MistyTigers, who's land looked just like SplashingRivers'.