Comfort

A/N and TW: Hello! This one shot was requested by @lokisqueen3000 and I know I said I'd have it up in a week, but here it is a little earlier than I'd anticipated! I hope it's what you envisioned. I don't usually write stuff with a family in it or anything with this much angst, but I tried. A little trigger warning for this story: it mentions abuse and family fights and issues. If you think this is something that will trigger you, please don't read this. I also want to preface this by saying I am in no way trying to glamorize abuse or trauma by using it in a story. It is a real and very serious issue and I am not trying to distract from the gravity of it at all.  Thanks for reading and I'll stop talking now.

This was it. That point where you just felt like you had fallen down and could never get back up again. You seemed to hit this point more and more often. Your parents weren't helping your mental state. In fact, they were probably the main reason it was spiraling. They had been fighting all week and every time you spoke, you were either shut down or snapped at. It was a horrible cycle you couldn't seem to find your way out of.

Tonight, you'd heard the shouting increasing in volume and come out of your room to see if everyone was okay. As you'd rounded the corner to the main room, a chair was launched at you and exploded at your feet with several pieces hitting you with a great amount of force. If you had been any earlier, you would be seriously injured. You didn't know which one of your parents had thrown the chair, nor did you care. The room went silent when they'd noticed you. You were so scared that you were momentarily frozen. You had then taken a deep shuddering breath and walked back to your room, tears threatening to spill onto your face any second.

Once you'd reached your room, that's exactly what they did. You began to cry. You tried so hard to fight it, but you couldn't any longer. The one positive thing you could think of coming out of this was that your parents had stopped yelling. You hoped that almost severely injuring their daughter would be the kick they needed to stop fighting and work things out. Your hopes were very quickly dashed when a few minutes later, you heard shouting again. You began to sob again. You knew that you had to leave. Right now. If it wasn't the kick your parents needed to stop fighting, it was certainly the kick you needed to get out of the house. You didn't plan on leaving forever, but you knew you had to leave for at least a little while. You packed a small suitcase and a bag with only the things you needed. Your toothbrush, a few pieces of clothing, your phone, the couple sentimental possessions that you wanted to have with you.

You were climbing out of your window before you realized you didn't have a place to go. You climbed back into your house for just a moment. You took a deep breath and thought. You knew exactly where you wanted to go, you just didn't know if you should. You hadn't seen Loki in a couple months. What if he didn't want to see you? What if he pushed you away?

You didn't have time to think about all that. Loki was the only person you wanted to talk about your problems with. The only person whose arms you wanted around you. The only person you wanted anything to do with right now. You grabbed a note card from the desk in your room and placed it on your pillow. You wrote a simple message on it. "I'm alright. I just can't be here anymore. Let me know when you're alright too." You then took one last deep breath before climbing out your window again.

You remembered exactly where Loki's apartment was. You'd been there quite a lot when you and Loki had been in a relationship. Well... relationship may be a stretch. It was complicated. The two of you liked each other a lot, but when Loki had gotten a little more serious and it was becoming time to say that four letter L word, you'd chickened out a little bit. Love was a scary thing for you. Especially since for the past few years, you hadn't had the best examples of it in your life. You'd talked about it with Loki and he'd been very understanding and kind. However, the two of you had kind of drifted apart a little bit afterwards. It was no one's fault. Just inadvertent. Yet, it had happened and you hadn't talked to him for a while now. You were hoping that he even still lived at his old apartment.