Thought Seven. - Coffee date.

Embrie

The rest of my shift went by extremely slow.

I sat at my counter for the last remaining hours, watching the clock. It had seemed like the hands had actually stopped, and that time was standing still. And this was all just because I was having coffee with Jones after my shift. The store remained silent, and empty. Not one customer had blessed me with their presence. And at one point, I remember, I was practically glaring a hole through the glass door; just wishing that someone would come walking through it.

But it never happened.

At least it’s time to close up now though.

I switch the till off, and zip up my hoodie. I walk over to the light switch, and push it down. All of the lights turn off, leaving me in a dark and silent atmosphere.  Suddenly I find myself frightened, and very eager to get out of the shop. I walk out of the door, and lock it. Putting the key back into my pant pocket, I look around the darkened streets.

It’s as if the town had shut down at nine, just like the shop. No one is around, and the only sources of light are the few streetlights, hovering above the roads. Everything just seems so eerie.

As if something unknown lurks in the darkness, just waiting for me to walk away from the store.

“Hey!”

 The voice comes out of nowhere, making my heart jump out of my chest. I look to my right and see the mysterious Jones. His black leather jacket blends him into the darkness that envelops us. His eyes rake over my body, making me involuntarily shiver, and I can’t help but ponder what on earth he is thinking at this very moment.

“Oh, hey. You scared me!” I exclaim, tossing my weight over to my left foot nervously.

“Sorry about that. So…coffee?” His husky voice makes me want to drool.

How pathetic.

“Yeah, let’s go to Minnie’s Muffins & Coffee, it’s just down the street.” I reply. The thought of one of Minnie’s delectable red velvet muffins, and a steaming cup of coffee has my mouth literally watering; let alone the scrumptious man that stands before me at the moment.

“Okay, sounds good.” He says, and we both start walking down the street towards the coffee shop. The echo of our footsteps hitting the sidewalk, every step, breaks the silence.   

We keep our silence until we reach the coffee shop door; Jones reaches for the handle first, and opens the door for me. I smile in return, and walk into the dimly lit shop.  The lady at the counter is older, her gray-white hair is pulled up into a tight bun, and as she smiles at me, her wrinkles crumple together; making her look like a sharp pei dog.  

“Good evening, what can I get for you?” She asks us, her smile quickly fading.