4. The 'New' Us

4. The ‘New’ Us

[Zayn’s POV]

I woke up; knowing today was going to be hell. I didn’t want it to happen, but I can’t do the same crap I pulled oh so many years ago. I groaned as I looked over at the time on my clock. It wasn’t even a reasonable hour.

My mom knocked on my door, and I knew it was her because my dad would never wake me up at this ungodly hour. I groaned, a signal to let her in, and she poked her head in and smiled.

“You ready Zayn?” she asked, keeping her voice at bay. “Today’s the day!”

“Can I just not go?” I asked, groaning at the thought of getting out of bed, throwing on some clothes, and singing in front of people. Three things I had no interest in doing right now.

“Zayn Javadd Malik, you better get your butt out of bed.”

“And if I don’t?”

I felt the blankets ripped off of me, resulting in me releasing a hiss. I turned my head to look at my mother, standing triumphantly over me, with a smirk on her face. I wanted to smack her, but she just shrugged.

“I’ll give you some time to get ready!” She said as she skipped away. I mean literally, my mum just skipped away. I shook my head and finally got up and out of the bed. It was disheartening, considering how much I loved my sleep, but I couldn’t let my mom down again. It was time I got off my bum I suppose.

Trudging into the bathroom, I looked at myself, not pleased with what I saw, and attempted to fix myself up. I kind of did my hair to the side, even though it was a bit shaggy, and threw on a t-shirt, jean jacket, and a pair of jeans. I thought I looked decent, but I probably wouldn’t stand out against the crowd. It was going to be a big turnout. I mean, it’s a boy group adding another member; aren’t things like that huge?

I made my way out of the bathroom to see my mother placing a plate of eggs and pancakes on the breakfast table.

“Thanks mum,” I said as I pecked her on the cheek and sat down in front of the food.

“Of course Zayn. Now are you ready for today?” She asked as she sat down across from me with hot cup of tea. “I know it’s going to be scary, but I know you’ll be fine.”

I shrugged my shoulders as I poked at my food. “I mean, I don’t want to make a fool of myself, you know? I don’t want them all to judge me.”

“Zayn, these are not those boys you used to call your ‘friends’. This is a new chapter in your life, and I know you’ll make the most of it.”

“But-”

“No more ‘but’s Zayn. If you keep asking what if, then you’ll start saying I wish down the road. Now eat up so we can head out!” My mum said before nodding and getting up from the table.

I just sat there, shoving food around my plate, as I thought of all the possibilities. I mean, it’s not like I didn’t think I couldn’t sing, I just didn’t know what everyone else thought about it. I know my mom was all gun-ho about it, but she’s my mom. They are always supportive of their kids. Shoot, my whole family supported each other no matter what we did.

I finally scooped up some food and chewed slowly, contemplating what would happen. I know I skipped the X-Factor, but that was different. The X-Factor is a national thing, but this might just be a little thing if I’m lucky. Maybe just a couple hundred people. That wouldn’t be so bad.

“Zayn?”

“Yeah?” I said, looking up at my mother who had sat back down at the table.

“Just know no matter what happens, I am so proud of you.”