Prologue

"Luka. Please, forgive me one day." Gravity shoved my body down as I heard Joseph's voice echo around me. As I attempted to exit the pitch-black environment, ropes of cherry blossoms hauled me deeper into the never-ending nightmare. "Joseph..." I materialised a cloud of water to end my falling before cold hands cupped my face. A fair boy descended to kneel in front of me; he placed a kiss on my nose, "Wait for me." His pastel-blue eyes peered into mine before a bright light entered the dark area; I snuggled into the familiar hands until I snapped out of my daydream.

My fringe swayed to the right as it waltzed with the wind. I perched on a tree: sapphire leaves accessorised the branches. A combination of blue and yellow stars hovered around me to release a tranquil atmosphere. As I rocked my legs back and forth, a sleeveless maxi dress followed my movements while lilac flats gripped my feet. The left side of the skirt overlapped with the right, which exposed my twigs for legs. Gold accented my ivory cloak at the sleeves and the hem; the hood masked my amethyst eyes until the breeze threatened to reveal them. Complying to the request of the wind, I pushed the bundle of fabric down, which allowed my brown hair to breathe. My canary ribbon styled my waist-length hair into a high ponytail.

Bunnies and squirrels bolted past me while a few neighbours chased after them. My guardians of the sea, otherwise known as selkies, swam with life in their tails. Occasionally, they rested on the land to observe their energetic fiends, whilst keeping their tails in the colourless sea. "Good day, Lady Shiji!" Vodyanois revealed themselves from the forest to greet me. "Don't be so formal. Remember, I'm your friend." Their eyes lit with surprise, which soon faded into happiness. "Understood, Lady Luka!" As I waved goodbye, the water sprites joined their friends in playing tag.

I raised a hand to my nose before furrowing my brows; I recalled Joseph's quick peck, 'Was that him?' A smile bounced on my lips—for a second—until I shook my head; I removed my hand from my face to chuckle at my stupidity. 'Of course not. It was a dream.' My thought process ended when a small red robin, with beautiful emerald eyes, fluttered around me. "Hello, little one, why are you here?" The ruby robin continued to glide around me as it attempted to give me a message. Luckily, my magic aided me in understanding the soaring beauty, "A Sleigh Beggy? It seems Elias has taken in an apprentice." Once the robin fulfilled its task, it dashed away to return to its sender.

"Ryu!" A swirl of water spiralled in front of me. I raised my right hand before swiping to the left. The water rushed towards me, yet it disappeared before touching my hand. A tall, white-haired man arose from the spiral of water. Cat-like, yellow eyes, accompanied by a strong jawline, appeared. His hair was chin-length and untidy; his fringe fell to the middle of his face but swept to the left and right. He wore a classic suit: a white shirt, black blazer, trousers, and a tie. The man wore a cloak, which was similar to mine, but it was black instead. He crouched on one knee as a trail of water helped me descend from the tree.

My smile radiated warmth when I offered a hand to my familiar, "Good morning Blake, did you sleep well?" He kept his head down when he answered, which slightly frustrated me. "Yes, thank you, Lady Shiji." My smile stayed stuck on my face, but my eyes saddened at 'Lady Shiji'. He took my hand, small compared to his, "Apologies, I know how much you hate people calling you that, Luka." My periwinkle eyes brightened when hearing my first name, which earned a grin from Blake. His face flushed as I petted him; my neck tightened when glancing up at the lily-haired man, for he stood three heads taller than me.

"It's time for us to go home." Blake nodded for a response before transforming. A vivid white tiger materialised with ebony streaks going around his torso; grey fur encased his wrists, as well as his ankles. His thin tail clasped my waist to pull me over. The white tiger turned his head to me, "Are you ready, Luka?" I put my hood on before gazing at the enchanting land. Although I am the caretaker, I live with Elias because of a promise I made many years ago. "Ready." I clung on him as if my life depended on it. A path of blue, shimming stars followed us, which notified the selkies to protect the land whilst I was away. We sped back home while I sang a quiet melody: it was a long-lasting spell to protect The Celestial Sea.

Felicitas, Amor; Risus et Risus.

Ego praecipio tibi servo meo terra purus.

Auxilium meum custodes,

Felicitas, Amor.

Aenean quis perturbationes.

Ego praecipio tibi ut in maledictionem tollere.

Felicitas, Amor.

Facere, quid necesse,

Consumet omnia mea magia, si oportet.

Felicitas, Amor; Risus et Risus.

Water orbs, infused with magic, drifted around me as I cast the spell. I felt them rush towards The Celestial Sea to give my guardian selkies guidance in protecting the land.

I closed my eyes as we continued on our journey. "We're about to arrive." I stroked Blake's fur, unknowingly calming him down in the process. As I opened my eyes, I saw our medium-sized house with branches climbing the worn-out walls. We came to a stop at the brick fence. I hopped off Blake to allow him to transform into his human form. A stone path split the sea of green, which covered the front yard, "It seems Silky is as hard-working as ever." I muttered to myself. "Hopefully, Elias wasn't too lonely while we were away."

I glanced at Blake to smile while a wave of comfort rushed towards me. "Blake, we're home."