Chapter 4

"Let's go, it's time we visit Lindel again."
~
This time, I used my transportation magic. Splashes of water swirled around to encased us, we travelled through the air to the Land of the Dragons. Upon arrival, Elias hid in Chise's shadow, while Blake and I merged with the water stream behind her. We saw the pale blue dragon toss her into the water, Blake dragged my hand next to his chest to stop me from destroying our cover. Unable to watch while doing nothing, I delivered an order to the sea:

I command you to protect this Robin.

Show her how beautiful you are.

Guide her back to her newfound family.

Chise stopped sinking to swim up to the surface. She supported herself using a rock while breathing heavily. An ringing voice chimed, "Well. What an unusual guest. You smell like a mage...albeit a young one. A sapling, and you smell of plants, flowers and rocks from another place. It's a nice scent." As the uil ended his observation, Lindel clarified who the wise dragon was, "He's a breed of dragon called an uil. He's both father and the mother to this forest, bearing vegetation on his decaying body." The butter-blonde mage smirked from ear to ear, briefly glancing at the cloak Chise wore, "Apologies for the rough handling. Welcome to the Land of the Dragons, Daughter of Thorn."

"Why me?" Chise shivered, cold from being soaked. "There was a commotion among the ariels. They said that Thorn had finally taken an apprentice and the Queen of Magic had come back. For them, rumours spread like the wind." Chise kept her feet in the water stream, while Lindel closed his eyes, "You arrived quite quickly this time around. When are you going to stop hiding in your apprentice's shadow, Thorn?" Their orbs focused on Chise's strange shadow. The shadow produced thorns, which soon changed into a boneheaded mage with his hand rested on Chise's shoulder, "When the old fogey finishes his bumbling. It's been 300 years, and you still haven't stopped toying with people, have you, Echos?" Slight anger could be heard from Elias' voice, yet it was hard to interpret.

"Do you want your apprentice to freeze to death, Ainsworth?" A tall bubble of water dashed out of the stream, which caught their interest. Lindel's lizard-eyes widened as the bubble burst to reveal Blake and I. Blake sat on my head, in his cat form, while a platform of blue sparkles created a set of stairs. "Luka, I—I'm sorry." I sprinted down to Chise, worried, "For what? My cloak? It's alright, as long as you're safe."

The bonehead lifted her, bridal style, "You're absolutely soaked." Elias and I chanted, "Nettles in the shadow..." Blazing fire sprites and stars chased each other as they surrounded the drenched girl, "Ring of holly..." A snake-like fire enveloped Chise to explode after evaporating the water. She looked down at her hands, "I'm dry. Th—Thank you." A snicker sounded from the dragon caretaker. "What are you grinning at?" Lindel placed a hand on his chin with amusement, "At this little brat acting like he's all grown up." I giggled, incapable of holding it in, but soon put my hands up in defence as Elias glared at me with a look of betrayal, "Shut it."

Lindel removed his attention from us to chat with his youthful dragons. "Chise, that's Lindel. He's a mage, like me and Luka, and a caretaker of this dragon's nest." Chise stared at the speaking mage, "Caretaker...The same as Luka?" I hugged Chise from behind while laying my chin on her head, "You're a fast learner. In the same way, I protect the Celestial Sea, he must keep the Land of the Dragons away from humans." A mini gwee howled at Lindel as he stroked the beana's head. Lindel aimed an innocent yet sly grin at us, which caused Elias to slander him, "Despite his appearance, he's a mischievous senior, even more ancient than I am, so be careful around him." Annoyance smeared over Lindel's blue eyes as I carried on hugging Chise, "How dare you..."

The active dragons hopped in front of Chise with excitement, "Let's play! Lets's play! Come on! Please!" I ended my hug on Chise as I laughed at their cuteness, Lindel joined in with me, "Those are dragon hatchlings. The one with wings is a gwee, the one by your feet is a beana, the slow-moving one is an uil. Granted, that's just what I call them personally." The hatchlings continued begging Chise to play. Blake had fallen asleep on my head, I wished him a peaceful nap but wondered how he fell asleep with all the noise.