Chapter 1

Hope that this book might be supported by my dear readers.

Saturday, 15 July
10pm

Annika cursed her luck as soon as she stepped out of the airport. Since, she hadn't expected the rain to welcome her back to Mumbai, instead of her friend, Gauri. Annika loved Mumbai more than she loved the cool surroundings of Mussoorie, from where she came back. It was just that the unexpected rain and suddenly cancelled plan of her friend of picking her up turned Annika grumpy.

There was no point in standing near the airport building, she thought, to protect herself from heavy rain, when there was no other closest and familiar place for her to crash in, but the Oberoi hotel. At such times, she always blamed her fate for making her an orphan at an early age.

"Just one night. He won't know." Annika assured herself. The Oberoi hotel was just at a distance of five minutes from the airport, so she could surely handle herself and her luggage in rain for some minutes.

Pulling her suitcase, she hit the footpath and made her way to the hotel, silently praying that Shivaay won't be there.

Shivaay Singh Oberoi, her best friend and her ex-boyfriend, was upset with her, because she accepted her transfer to Mussoorie a year ago. Since then, after they broke up, she hadn't spoke to him.

She had heard that he moved on, went on few blind dates. It somewhat brought relief to her heart, since, then he won't be clinging to their past and in that way, she could also move on without any guilt.

Yet, she had thought that he would never let their best-friend-ship be affected by it. But when she didn't get any replies to her three letters she sent to him when she was staying in Mussoorie, she understood how deeply he was hurt by her decision.

From the time she knew him, he had been the only one to break the promises he made to her, no matter how much small or big they were. But when first time in her life, she had broken a promise, their relationship took a complete one eighty degree turn. And now, she didn't know what to say if he appeared in front of her.

She suddenly recalled about the time when she'd returned from her IPS training four years back. Shivaay had welcomed her by kneeling down and proposing her to be his girlfriend with a huge grin pasted on his face. He said, that he was an idiot for not realizing how much he loved her earlier.

Back then, she was too happy with him. But she loved her job too, as much as she loved him. So when the transfer offer to join as a special officer, leading a team to nab the terrorists came, she couldn't deny it.

Annika noticed that there were too less people on the street. Of course, it was a Saturday night. Moreover, not most of the people were interested in walking on a road, where the shops were shut due to heavy rain.

That's why she begged Gauri not to book a night flight. But her luck backstabbed her there too, and now, she was tired as hell, because of the lack of rest. She didn't tried to cover her head with the black jacket she was wearing over her Indian attire.

Instead, she stopped in the midway, closed her eyes and looked up as the cool droplets hit her face, hoping that they might wash off the tension in her body and mind. A cool breeze hit her face, calming down her nerves for sometime.

She took a deep breath and glanced across the street, at the name 'THE OBEROI HOTEL' written in silver, shining brightly in dark and windy atmosphere.

Annika and Shivaay had spent most of their teenage there, but she couldn't recall any such moment, where she was dreading to step inside the thirty storey building, as she was now. She felt like someone was waiting for her. Just, she didn't wanted her intuition to come true.