Chapter 2

"It’ll be okay baby.”

My father’s words swirled around and around in my head.

What would be okay? Why was this happening? I don’t even know what’s going on. I woke up on a hard, uncomfortable cot that had formed knots along my neck and spine. The room was freezing cold. My arms instantly wrapped around my body, trying to preserve all the heat that it was generating. My head was throbbing and my thoughts were running a mile a minute, bouncing around nonsensically in my fuzzy brain.

Suddenly, a man appeared out of the shadows. His eyes were wide as he gazed down at me.

“You’re awake!” he finally blurted out. “How are you feeling? Hungry? Thirsty? Would you like me to call your parents? What’s your name?”             

His words were spoken in a rush, too fast for me to comprehend right now. I closed my eyes and groaned in response. The pounding in my head was getting more intense.

The man grimaced, realizing his mistake and looking incredibly sorry... like a new puppy after it had peed all over the carpet. My eyes scanned over him, taking in his ruffled appearance. He wasn’t like any policeman that I had seen before. His motions were clumsy and he jerked around nervously. The uniform he was wearing was crinkled and his hair was sloppy. His blue eyes were flicking left and right with an odd sort of twitchiness as he watched me.

“I want to see my dad.”  

He glanced around as if someone would magically appear next to him and give him instructions on what to do. When that didn’t happen, he turned his gaze on the concrete floor and lightly tapped one foot against it, over and over.

“I’m s-sorry,” he stammered.

Before I could respond, he hurried out of the room, shutting the door behind him with a click. I hesitated for a moment before following him. The door was probably locked, but it didn’t hurt to check, right?

My footsteps echoed slightly and goose bumps rose up on my flesh. I closed my hand around the cold door handle and shivered. Thinking that it wouldn’t open, I yanked really hard, only to find myself falling back onto my butt.

Thump.

The door in front of me was wide open. Rising up from the floor, I poked my head out the doorway and looked around. I would have probably given passersby a heartache.           

   I took a step out, deciding to explore my surroundings. The grey walls continued down on both the left and right side. The floor in the hall was covered in ugly, faded blue tiles. A few people lingered in the halls, but none paid any attention to me. I continued strolling around casually like I belonged here. I ended up down a corridor and into an office area. 

            The room looked like it had come straight out of NCIS. Desks were scattered around with police officers working at them or standing around, chatting with others. My eyes spotted the anxious policeman that had been in the room with me. He was talking with a woman with bright red hair. His hands were waving around obnoxiously as he explained something to her, but she just regarded him with an expression of indifference.

Suddenly, he gestured towards where I was standing and that’s when I realized that he knew that I had followed him. When the lady’s eyes followed the way that his hand was pointing, a look a pure shock crossed her features. She marched away from him while he was in the middle of his continuous rant, and headed straight in my direction.

She stopped in front of me and inspected my face intently. Meanwhile, the man rushed up behind her.

“What are you doing out here?” she questioned angrily. Her red hair was hanging precariously in a ponytail and swished as she jammed her hands on her hips.