five

Furqaan was only breathing since he had left home. Left his wife all alone despite promising her his unconditional support and companionship. He couldn't bear the thought of the injustice that she would be feeling being in this forced bond.

He had travelled to Kuwait where their company was collaborating with a local chef and restaurateur and together they were creating what would hopefully be a chain of restaurants.

He had big plans for the future. The future that now seemed so questionable due to the entry of a little girl.

Would she want to be with him? Would she care enough to share her hopes and her dreams and her fears with him? Would she dare and take a chance at a life with him?

He had begun to regret his decision of deserting her in their marital bed. She didn't deserve such callous treatment from her husband of a few hours.

He wanted to rush home and take her in his arms. Wanted to plead guilty for all his sins. For letting his stupid insecurities lead him away from her. For letting his twisted mind and logic rule over his better sense of judgement. For breaking her heart like that.

His mind was not at peace since morning. He couldn't concentrate on his work. Even the blistering heat didn't bother him per usual. Something was not right.

The construction site was coming along nicely. They had no legal issues with the local government. Their trade and eating house license had finally arrived.He had even called up Azaan Bhai and he had assured him all was well back home.

Then what was the reason for this unsettling feeling in the pit of his stomach.
Dismissing his unfounded worries, he settled down to pray. He just finished doing his Dhikr when a bellboy informed him of a collective call at the front desk, from his country.

It was his father. He was summoned home that very instant. Aamaal was in the hospital.

His heart lurched in his mouth. He didn't even bother packing properly;
documents in hand he rushed to the airport. A flight was available in the next two hours.

Those two hours of wait felt like an eternity and the flight also felt so damned slow. He almost had a mind of pushing the pilot aside and flying the airplane himself! That's how worked up he was.

He had called home and enquired about the hospital where she was taken. Faiqa bhabhi, bless her heart had sent Latif Bhai with the car. He didn't have to worry about the rush hour traffic now.

Latif Bhai had relayed the information given by Faiqa bhabhi. His wife was in the ICU on the third floor.

As soon as he reached there he saw his brothers and his eldest sister in law. Duaa bhabhi was praying and Azaan and Rayyan Bhai were pacing the hallway.

They told him everything right from the beginning. Well, Azaan Bhai did,  Rayyan Bhai just glared at him. He was short of punching his face, angry.

Just then the doctor came and what she said shook his heart. Aamaal had an ectopic pregnancy and had miscarried the baby. She would be alright and they could try again for babies in six months. It was a girl.

His heart was filled with despair. He couldn't even feel his brother's voice as he sank down on the cold hospital floor. Despondency like no other gripped his heart.

His carelessness and ignorance had cost them their baby girl. He was a murderer. He killed their little angel. He couldn't protect his wife and baby. How was he to face her now?

Aamaal was moved to a private room and only one person was allowed to meet with her. Duaa volunteered. Furqaan couldn't muster up the courage to even look at her face without feeling like a criminal. He sat outside and began grovelling to his Lord to give him strength. He drifted off in a dreamless sleep.

The next time he opened his eyes he was surrounded by his family. His mother had a soft look on her face and Faiqa bhabhi cast him a worried glance. His father and eldest brother were another case. They could kill him with their accusing looks.

Aamaal was finally awake and she asked for her Phupho. Not her husband but her mother in law. What had he done!